Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User batfastad
(newbie) Thu 02-Jun-11 16:01:06
Print Post

ADSL line over cat5e ethernet cabling to router rj11->rj45

[link to this post]

Hi everyone

We moved office recently and unfortunately the BT phone line comes into the building at the opposite corner to where we have our servers and switches.

At the moment we have the router over where the BT phone line enters the building, then an ethernet port on the router is connected to a network socket in the trunking which goes to a patch panel which goes into our IPCop firewall (red interface), then back out of the IPCop firewall (green interface) and into our switch.
But in order to have our ADSL router connected to our UPS (which only has about 40% load) it would be ideal to move the router closer to where we keep our switches and server gear. So in the event of a power failure, our internet connection remains live for long enough to tell us about it!

What about wiring up an RJ11 connector onto one end of cat5e ethernet cable and an RJ45 on the other. Then do the same again so you have a matching pair of cables... so the pins of the RJ11 match up at either end.
So you have one wire with the RJ11 plugged into the ADSL filter and the RJ45 goes into a cat5 wall socket.
Then the other wire has the RJ45 going from the patch panel and the RJ11 goes to the ADSL connection on the router.

I assume that it should work from a wiring perspective.
But would you get ADSL signal problems?

For best speeds I've always made sure to keep the wiring between the BT socket and the ADSL port on the router as short as possible. But with this we'd probably be adding about 35m of ethernet cable between the ADSL filter and the router.

Anyone else attempted to do this and had any success?
I'm just concerned about weakening the ADSL signal.

I'm competent in making network cables up/crimping. Had to put in 111 network sockets in the new office before we moved in and downstairs asked us to do the same for them before they moved in.

Cheers, B

Edited by batfastad (Thu 02-Jun-11 16:06:11)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 02-Jun-11 16:23:56
Print Post

Re: ADSL line over cat5e ethernet cabling to router rj11->rj

[re: batfastad] [link to this post]

ADSL signal is on the centre pair, and so long as you continue that it should work. CAT5 is perfectly good for running ADSL over.

35m of cable should make little difference, unless you are already struggling to see even just 0.5Meg.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User MHC
(legend) Thu 02-Jun-11 17:07:58
Print Post

Not easy to wire standard 4-pair Cat5e into an RJ11 / RJ12 but if you can get 2 pair Cat5e it is an easy job. Only the centre pair are used but for neatness use pins 2,3,4,5 on the RJ11 / RJ12 and 3,4,5,6 on the RJ45 or even just RJ11 / RJ12 on both end - they will fit into an RJ45 socket.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User joconnell
(experienced) Thu 02-Jun-11 19:44:32
Print Post

I've done exactly that - I cut the ADSL cable in half and crimped on RJ45 connectors at the bare ends, making two RJ11 to RJ45 cables, which I've used to site my ADSL router away from the telephone point and in to the upstairs office. The ADSL signal is patched from one port to another on the patch panel in the garage using a 0.5m patch lead.

There's a tiny dropoff in speed but so little as to make no difference.
Standard User joconnell
(experienced) Fri 03-Jun-11 08:37:47
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MHC:
Not easy to wire standard 4-pair Cat5e into an RJ11 / RJ12 but if you can get 2 pair Cat5e it is an easy job. Only the centre pair are used but for neatness use pins 2,3,4,5 on the RJ11 / RJ12 and 3,4,5,6 on the RJ45 or even just RJ11 / RJ12 on both end - they will fit into an RJ45 socket.

I found it quite simple to wire the four strands of an RJ11 cable into an RJ45 connector, and used a cheap cable tester to test for the correct pins/signals.

Yes, you can plug an RJ11 directly into an RJ45 socket but I found it to be a tighter fit then usual and getting the RJ11 out of the socket was more fiddly.
Standard User thomaswarne01
(newbie) Fri 03-Jun-11 08:51:06
Print Post

You talk my language! UPS Backup! i have bought 3 off of amazon this year APC to be precise,
yes adsl over cat 5 is perfectly good! i have done it at my home and because we were limited on cabling at the time of 2009 (MONEY!) we only had 1 cable installed and i have used the green and orange for ethernet of it and the blue pair for the telephone
i have not changed it and it still works a treat.
Any q's about this please do not hesitate to PM me as i have done all you are doing now! with thw wiring!
Standard User MHC
(legend) Fri 03-Jun-11 09:09:08
Print Post

[re: joconnell] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by joconnell:
In reply to a post by MHC:

I found it quite simple to wire the four strands of an RJ11 cable into an RJ45 connector, and used a cheap cable tester to test for the correct pins/signals.

Yes, you can plug an RJ11 directly into an RJ45 socket but I found it to be a tighter fit then usual and getting the RJ11 out of the socket was more fiddly.

Only problem there is that the RJ11 cable is likely to be flat - twisted pairs will give some degree of noise rejection.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
  Print Thread

Jump to