Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User jtheobald
(newbie) Wed 15-Jun-11 08:26:37
Print Post

BT Home Hub 3 - Different ISP

[link to this post]

I'd be interested to know if anybody has managed to get the BT Home Hub 3 to work with other ISP's? There is an option to use other ISP credentials but I always recieve an error that "The Broadband username that you've entered is either incorrect or is not supported by your Hub".

Thanks.
Standard User BP1
(committed) Wed 15-Jun-11 19:55:57
Print Post

Re: BT Home Hub 3 - Different ISP

[re: jtheobald] [link to this post]

Cannot be done on HHv3 as far as i no.

Regards

BP1

BTBroadband

"When everything's coming your way, you're in the wrong lane"
Standard User EvD
(learned) Fri 08-Jul-11 19:29:44
Print Post

[re: BP1] [link to this post]

Any update on this? I'm wondering about using the RJ45 Infinity port to connect to an ordinary switch, thus creating a second subnet. However the HH3 complains that it isn't connected to broadband. Is there any way to fool it into thinking it is? My Infinity modem is connected to another router, which is preferable to me.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User BP1
(committed) Fri 08-Jul-11 19:37:30
Print Post

[re: EvD] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by EvD:
Any update on this? I'm wondering about using the RJ45 Infinity port to connect to an ordinary switch, thus creating a second subnet. However the HH3 complains that it isn't connected to broadband. Is there any way to fool it into thinking it is? My Infinity modem is connected to another router, which is preferable to me.

I think you are going to find it difficult to use the HHV3 as you state above. Somebody else may come along and advise if its possible

Regards

BP1

BTBroadband

"When everything's coming your way, you're in the wrong lane"
Standard User EvD
(learned) Fri 08-Jul-11 19:39:03
Print Post

[re: BP1] [link to this post]

I think it will depend if we can pressure BT to release the scripts to allow the code they have released at http://www.btyahoo.com/broadband/adhoc_pages/gplcode... to be uploaded to the HH as per the "GPL Violation" section at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BT_Home_Hub
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sat 28-Jan-12 15:39:55
Print Post

[re: EvD] [link to this post]

From RobsRails :
Re: BT HomeHub 3 used on other ISP

I have been given a brand new HH3 that was unwanted.
My ISP IS NOT BT (nor is my phone line) - both my telephone line and broadband is with another of the major providers.
I thought I would try out the HH3 just for interest and lo and behold without any problem whatsoever it has connected perfectly to my broadband service - in fact i'm typing this whilst the HH3 is connected to my NON BT ISP.
I would be inclined to say that there is no problem with using a HH3 on another isp - look at the BT HH3 User Manual on page 31 'Broadband light is red' also page 33. On both these pages there are references to connecting to another broadband service and changing the preset BT broadband user name via the hub manager. Even BT offer advice on so doing in the HH3 manual !.
Also BT sell the HH3 on the open market - why do this if its restricted to their broadband service as they supply a HH to their own broadband customers - isnt it more likely they are trying to sell their router to anyone looking for a router no matter what ISP the person is on ?.
I think a lot of the problem on these forums is that people just assume that an item cant be used by other services without actually checking - smacks of not seeing the wood for the trees a bit - the techophiles trying to blind others with science.
Plug your HH3 into your other ISP and see if you get the same result as me-it cant cause a problem and in a worst case scenario all you might have to do is change username - something that despite comment DOES work on the HH3.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 01-Feb-12 13:03:49
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

Just a short follow up to my post above re the BT HomeHub 3 :-
I thought i'd try a HomeHub 2 in the same way (got hold of a brand new unused one at a charity shop).
And yes, ad I expected this too has worked perfectly with my non BT ISP.
Obviously the Hub Phone will not work on VOIP as this was dependent on signing up for BT Broadband Talk (not now available to new customers hence the HH3 having no provision for same) but the Hub Phone DOES work with the normal PSTN phone line to which the HH2 is attached.
I have noted that the BT Shop website states that HH3 will only work with BT services - this is in direct conflict with the information in the HH3 user manual re setting username/password for use on non BT services.
I wonder wether the relevent authority should be informed that BT is showing missleading information on its shop website.
I'd love to see a responce from BT as to why they say the exact opposite of what actually can be done - or is it simply one of their methods of trying to avoid losing customers - a bit useless really as pretty well all other ISP's (if not all) supply you with equipement to conect to their service so BT's ploy of making it look like you will need to buy new equipment is rather pointless.
I would like to see what others think of these findings
Standard User shtu
(experienced) Wed 01-Feb-12 13:43:56
Print Post

Couple of things,

1 - Which ISP?

2 - If this works, it's *more* functional than the manufacturer states. I can't see the problem here, mainly because

3 - There's better kit out there for less money.

Interesting if it works, but that's all. Please post up exactly what you did in each case to make them work, it'll be useful info for others.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Wed 01-Feb-12 21:59:30
Print Post

[re: shtu] [link to this post]

Well, you go to settings on the HH3 menu and you select the link "Enter your Broadband username and password (for non BT Total Broadband customers)"

Then, you enter your Broadband username and password.

______________________________________________________________________________. __________________
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sat 04-Feb-12 15:33:49
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

I have just left BT and joined Plusnet. The thomson box Plusnet supplies is terrible and had to reduce my interface type from b/g/n to just b/g to prevent thomson box from crashing.

I tried to connect via homehub 3 instead and had issues connecting to the internet with it.

Found after putting in my new details of broadband username and password they were accepted ok however the internet would still not connect.

I found I had to change the time and date settings in the settings tab from auto to manual. Once this was done it has connected ok and is also back running b/g/n interface.

Very pleased with outcome.
Standard User Deadbeat
(knowledge is power) Mon 06-Feb-12 03:17:52
Print Post

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
.... I thought i'd try a HomeHub 2 in the same way.....

The HH2A can be software unlocked and then reflashed with the Thomson firmware.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Mon 06-Feb-12 22:22:33
Print Post

From RobsRails,
Regarding my original 2 posts about the HH3 and HH2.
To answer several questions posed by others :- yes I agree you can change your username/password in the HH settings and also it MAY be necessary to change some other settings such as time and date (and its probably better to do this anyway) but my original point is that contrary to BT's advertising the HH CAN be used on other ISP broadband services.
Just out of interest for those who are wondering - my ISP is TalkTalk (and yes i'm perfectly happy with the service I get and have NO intention of moving from them).
My original reason for posting was that I was actually originally surprised that the HH (of both generations) worked perfectly well - after all the HH is actually nothing special anyway - being only a re-boxed and re-badged router that has been used by others in different clothes.
I have someone soon to give me an HomeHub 1 (the white one) and as soon as i've got it i'll put it to the test and see what happens - will report the outcome here later.
As one of the posters say above - better equipment is available on the high street but I thought it would be interesting to try things - who knows a failure and a spare HH might get someone out of trouble until they can buy a new router.
Regards, Rob
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 09-Feb-12 07:43:55
Print Post

I'm another Talktalk user here - using a BT Homehub 2.

I migrated from BT (so had the HH2 working). They switched off, TT switched on. I didn't even change the passwords. I think the key is that the Talktalk line is LLU and doesn't require a password at all.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 11-Apr-12 21:03:29
Print Post

[re: Deadbeat] [link to this post]

I havent allready got a BTHH3 but i'm thinking of getting one. Just out of curiosity could I use it as just a modem. incase your wondering my network map kinda goes like this

My TalkTalk Modem/Router is connected to master socket. and my Pc is connected to its wifi (only one connected to it) and my computer has a wifi-ethernet bridge to a netgear Router to surpply the wifi and public hotspot

I'm thinking of giving my BTHH2 my math, but does it work with vergin in the same way my network map works?
Standard User leexgx
(regular) Thu 12-Apr-12 01:59:47
Print Post

due to merging with other ISPs it was giving TalkTalk issues with the other legicey ISPs they had taken on so they just set (mostly) every one to any password so customer could just plug it in and forget (as most users are not techy), it take any username and password or none if the router supports it, so the BT hub would work when the line came back up on TT

i would not recommend the BT hub3 thought (not from my use of it at customers houses, well it works ok in b/g mode with an Fixed channel set like 1, 6 or 11 , N on this router is rubbish a lot of laptops and printers hate the bt hub 3 and 2 in some cases)

like the customer issue i had with one BT infinity setup, they need N mode to get the top end speed but i had to disable the N to get it to work (same issue BT hub3 N tech was making printer and 1 mac and 1 laptop drop from network permanlty untill the hub was rebooted, worked fine in g mode), Thing is when an BT tech remotely logs in when wifi is not working they do the same thing i do to fix it no N and fixed channel

Standard User mcompton69
(learned) Thu 19-Apr-12 19:25:48
Print Post

[re: leexgx] [link to this post]

My Home Hub 3 arrived today (Infinity install on Monday, whoop!).

It will not let me change my username to the one my current ISP requires. This prevents me from using the HH3 with my non-BT ISP.

I know this will not be relevant from Monday, but it seems to contradict comments on this thread.

Any way around this problem and force a non-BTB username??

ADSL24: C&W Home LLU ADSL2+, Netgear DG834PN 1.03.39 DGTeam 1018, Belkin N1 Vision (1.00.07), Core 2 Duo E6850 3 GHz, Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS5, 8 GB, 10 HDD=3.3TB

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User leexgx
(regular) Thu 19-Apr-12 19:35:24
Print Post

[re: mcompton69] [link to this post]

Bt hubs do not normally accept none bt logon details

Standard User Daniel_g
(member) Thu 19-Apr-12 19:46:56
Print Post

Fire the thing up to the computer and then the internet brower.

Do 192.168.1.254 and click setting tab at the top. Brings up a choice of blue wording short sentences.
Bottom one is to do with the username and password.

Mine is on the internet but I clicked disconnect then brings up the boxes to put in what you want.

If not on the internet might be a step less and no need to disconnect.

try the settings and bottom choice.
I thought to set up internet you needed the broadband type setting, Got this from an old router using as a second wifi point .

ADSL Settings

Multiplexing Method LLC-BASED VC-BASED
VPI
VCI

So at least 3 things including the 2 numbers.
Maybe not on the HH3 , does it just sense and set it self up.

Same say on this thread does, some not. Worth a go.
Interesting to know if in years to come I end uup with it if leave BT. A spare (another one) modem. As now we all have FTTC guess not much use and wont have the normal ADSL again but nice to see if it does go on other things as you can try to prove a point.
Standard User mcompton69
(learned) Thu 19-Apr-12 19:58:34
Print Post

[re: Daniel_g] [link to this post]

Google has come to my aid, once again. Thanks Google! smile

http://www.psidoc.com/forum.php

Looks like with an fw downgrade I can change the username. I wonder if the fw upgrade (which I presume BT can force upon me?!) it will not only prevent changing to non BT username once more, but also reset it back to the default BT username?? Anyone care to comment? I will try joining that forum to find out......

ADSL24: C&W Home LLU ADSL2+, Netgear DG834PN 1.03.39 DGTeam 1018, Belkin N1 Vision (1.00.07), Core 2 Duo E6850 3 GHz, Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS5, 8 GB, 10 HDD=3.3TB

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User Daniel_g
(member) Thu 19-Apr-12 20:05:16
Print Post

I got that so called locked firmware and looks like I can.

Sure you need to do.

http://www.psidoc.com/showthread.php/609-Downgrading...

In advanced setting.. Firmware

Hub Firmware Information
Current firmware: Version 4.7.5.1.83.8.57.1.3 (Type A)
Last updated: 21/06/11

What have you got, maybe newer as a new box, had mine last may.

Now off to watch watchdog already started
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 14-Aug-12 16:33:16
Print Post

I've a BT HH3b. It won't let me alter the username to the one my ISP (O2) gave me, and I can't get to the ISP name, LLC, VCI or VPI settings. Any advice?
Standard User Wainfleetworld
(newbie) Fri 13-Dec-13 17:56:05
Print Post

Wonderful thread and most useful, thank you!!

I was just about to start donwnloading unlock files and spending some time on this. Then I found this thread and followed the instructions. BT HH3A is now working perfectly.

A word of warning though. Anyone who had previously had BTFon as a service MUST reset the router to the default settings before changing to their new ISP's settings. I didn't do this and found that I was broadcasting a totally open Plusnet service for anyone within range. I did the reset, which stopped the service and all is fine. Thank you.
Standard User Wainfleetworld
(newbie) Fri 13-Dec-13 17:57:33
Print Post

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
I've a BT HH3b. It won't let me alter the username to the one my ISP (O2) gave me, and I can't get to the ISP name, LLC, VCI or VPI settings. Any advice?

If you read through the first part of this read it refers to the version of firmware. If you don't have the correct version then the HH3 will not allow you to change the ISP settings.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to