Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User gmoorc
(member) Wed 15-Jun-11 09:45:22
Print Post

Gigabit Install questions

[link to this post]

Hi.
I want to move away from my homeplugs and am after some advice on how to cable up my house for Gigabit.

I have my modem and router in the living room and want to install outlets in 4 other rooms. Some of the cabling will have to run outside the house to get to where I need to go and I probably need around 60m with a maximum of 15 meter runs.

I assume I just need to terminate each room and router connection at a network switch, was thinking in the loft?

Also not sure about what hardware I need and the difference between stranded and solid cable?

Was thinking of the CCS 1 way standard face plates on this page for each room

and the 100m external cable on this page

Some Cat 6 plugs from this page to terminate into the switch.

I guess a crimping tool to attach the plugs as well as a punch down tool?

Do I need to consider the shielded FTP cable. Would this be of any benefit in my installation?

Any recommendations for suppliers?

Thanks
Gary
Standard User MHC
(legend) Wed 15-Jun-11 10:32:33
Print Post

Re: Gigabit Install questions

[re: gmoorc] [link to this post]

I run Gigabit across Cat5e cabling without any problems (apart from a broken wire in one cable!)

For the external you need the right cable type or it can breakdown rapidly: FS Cables is my preferred supplier and in some cases they will sell shorter lengths than a full drum. Their normal Cat5e and Cat6 prices are competitive too.

Terminate all of the cables on a 24 port patch panel next to where you want the switch - do not try to crimp connectors onto the cables - it will fail and a decent crimp tool is not cheap. Then use flexible patch leads from the patch panel to switch and from socket outlets to devices.

Where you think you want one outlet, run two cables - you will always fine you do not have enough and if you want two, think about running four.

You could also put two sockets next to the modem, then move the router to the loft adjacent to the switch. Patch lead from modem to socket, then patch panel to WAN input of router, the another from a LAN output to the switch ...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User joconnell
(experienced) Wed 15-Jun-11 10:40:16
Print Post

In reply to a post by gmoorc:
Some of the cabling will have to run outside the house to get to where I need to go and I probably need around 60m with a maximum of 15 meter runs.
f you run cable outside the house then you'll need to protect the cable from the elements or else use a cable suitable for outdoor use.

I assume I just need to terminate each room and router connection at a network switch, was thinking in the loft?

You can terminate at a patch panel or an RJ45 connector, for more than a few connections, a patch panel is probably best.

Also not sure about what hardware I need and the difference between stranded and solid cable?

You need solid cable, stranded is used only for patch leads, solid core transmits better with less losses over distance.

Was thinking of the CCS 1 way standard face plates on this page for each room

and the 100m external cable on this page

Some Cat 6 plugs from this page to terminate into the switch.

I guess a crimping tool to attach the plugs as well as a punch down tool?

Do I need to consider the shielded FTP cable. Would this be of any benefit in my installation?

Any recommendations for suppliers?

Thanks
Gary

I've used CommsExpress who are good value and prompt.

Also see these posts: Terminating Cat5 at patch panel and faceplates, Terminating Cat5e cable, , Choosing network infrastructure hardware, Home networking advice and Home network pics

You don't really need cat6 sheilded cable unless you plan on running your cat5 cable close to electrical wiring and in paralell.

Edited by joconnell (Wed 15-Jun-11 11:00:35)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User gmoorc
(member) Wed 15-Jun-11 11:20:54
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Thanks for that.
Guess I would be looking at the C5EC or C5ED on that page with the C5ED being more resilient? Lots of options!

Is there no benefit to installing CAT6 then? Haven't looked at the price difference.

I assume the connection to the patch panel would be with punch down connections?

Good advice about the extra cables as well. May mean a more expensive or two switches in the loft (More ports) but I could remove a couple of switches I have running in other rooms.
Standard User gmoorc
(member) Wed 15-Jun-11 11:23:49
Print Post

[re: joconnell] [link to this post]

Thanks for the info.
Feel guilty about not using the search button now smile
I'll get reading.
Standard User MHC
(legend) Wed 15-Jun-11 11:47:55
Print Post

Thanks for that.
Guess I would be looking at the C5EC or C5ED on that page with the C5ED being more resilient? Lots of options!

Is there no benefit to installing CAT6 then? Haven't looked at the price difference.

I assume the connection to the patch panel would be with punch down connections?

Good advice about the extra cables as well. May mean a more expensive or two switches in the loft (More ports) but I could remove a couple of switches I have running in other rooms.

The C5EC will be adequate, unless you want physical protection.

Cat6 is useful for noisy environments - but it is hard to bend due to the internal spacer. I have 15 to 20 Cat5e cable bunched together, running for 10 metres, crossing power and in ducts with alarm and phone cables - no issues.

Patch panel will be punch down ... and a reasonable tool will cost around £10-15

You are right about the switches - but I have a 24 port Linksys (Cisco) which serves me, but I do need to add a second! There are three 24 way patch panels too. It is so much cleaner to run 2 or 4 wires to a face plate - the site you linked to has 4 way ones too, rather than a local switch. With those faceplates, the modules are standard sized and if you have a specific range of sockets and switches at home, you can normally get faceplates to match and insert teh standard modules.

M H C

Standard User gmoorc
(member) Wed 15-Jun-11 12:44:46
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MHC:
You are right about the switches - but I have a 24 port Linksys (Cisco) which serves me, but I do need to add a second!

Not your standard run of the mill home network then smile

Thanks for the advice. I'm starting to reappraise how I should approach things. More cable runs sounding better and better although my budget would have to rise considerably.

Think I would need a 16 port switch. They seem to vary between £50 and £150 plus. Any recommendations? I had a lot of trouble with a netgear GS605. Poor throughput and negotiating down to fast ethernet which has put me off that brand!

Think I will price things up before I make my mind up.
Standard User MHC
(legend) Wed 15-Jun-11 13:02:21
Print Post

Well, we do have 2 offices here too!

The cables costs very little - you can install a faceplate with a single outlet and 2 half size blanking plates until you need the second. 305m for all of the internal will, I would think be more than adequate, it will just be the external that you need to buy extra.

There are a couple of other long threads covering much of this - with plenty of suggestions and comments.

A patch panel will be cheaper than a crimp tool for RJ45s - my Crimp tool was over £160.

I like my Linksys SRW2024 - but that is a managed switch and even some overkill here but it works and has a lifetime warranty.

Linksys are now Cisco Small Business and there is a good range: http://www.misco.co.uk/applications/factfinder/searc...

There is the SG100-16 or SR102-24 - think how many you need now, if it is close to 16 then 24 maybe the solution. Think what you might want to add, TV, DVD, PVR, alarm, camera, &c You can cascade later on, but have some spare at the start.

Their support is also very good - if you need it.

M H C

Standard User joconnell
(experienced) Wed 15-Jun-11 18:33:37
Print Post

Thanks for the info.
Feel guilty about not using the search button now smile
I'll get reading.

I did the same thing when I first started speccing my home network and guys like MHC posted links to various posts in this forum. There are links in those posts I linked to which specify the parts used in my home gigabit network. I sourced all my stuff from Comms Express who were pretty cheap and supply Excel brand stuff which is good quality. I must say I found Cable Monkey to be quite expensive, but their stuff may well be much better quality and easier to work with.

Are you installing the network yourself? If so, I'd recommend you practice terminating with a spare bit of cable at the patch panel and RJ45 module ends - I did that and it made a big difference when it came to me doing the real terminations at the wall sockets and patch panel.

Finally, I found this site on cabling a great source of info and advice.

Good luck and feel free to ask any further questions, no matter how seemingly trivial.
Standard User joconnell
(experienced) Wed 15-Jun-11 18:41:46
Print Post

Think I would need a 16 port switch. They seem to vary between £50 and £150 plus. Any recommendations? I had a lot of trouble with a netgear GS605. Poor throughput and negotiating down to fast ethernet which has put me off that brand!

I have a 24 port patch panel but only 14 connections in use, with a 5 port switch, a GS605 in fact. I don't use all the network points in the house so the 5 port switch is adequate for my needs, but as I start to use more and more network points, then I'll invest in a 16 port switch, though I'm not sure whether to go for a managed switch (overkill?) or just a simple switch.

The suggestion to put some RJ45 sockets near your telephone point is a good one - I did that and now feed the WAN signal to the patch panel from where it's patched to the router and from the router into the switch which is mounted near the patch panel.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to