Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User WatchMan
(member) Tue 05-Jul-11 08:48:33
Print Post

Cannot network Windows 7 and XP

[link to this post]

I have searched the web for a solution and even Microsoft haven't given a straightforward answer. I am using Windows 7 (Desktop PC) and trying to persuade it to network with Windows XP (Desktop PC). Why on earth Microsoft did away with the simple home-networking process in XP I'll never understand. Every time I attempt to connect to my wife's XP machine I get a message stating that it is not accessible ... the account is not authorised to log in from this station. I have setup both PC's with a common Workgroup name and disabled the password on each PC but to no avail. Strangely however, I can access the Public folder on the Windows 7 PC from the XP machine.
Is there an easy way to overcome this or am I trying the impossible?

Edited by WatchMan (Tue 05-Jul-11 08:49:11)

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 05-Jul-11 09:35:42
Print Post

Re: Cannot network Windows 7 and XP

[re: WatchMan] [link to this post]

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-7/share-files...
Standard User WatchMan
(member) Tue 05-Jul-11 10:24:49
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

Thanks for your suggestion. I have tried this one but it didn't help. The follow up to my request for more help received no response but I did note that the original post was dated 2009 which may account for the fact that no-one has come back to me on this one.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User philippercival
(committed) Tue 05-Jul-11 10:53:20
Print Post

It is definitely possible, I am doing it on my home network.

I have not read the link above exhaustively, but it looks a pretty good set of instructions.

Assuming that all the networking options are correct on both machines, which I think is the case if you can see the shared folders.

On the XP machine if you select a folder and right click on it, then choose sharing. In the dialog box that pops up there are two boxes to tick.

1. Share this folder on the network
2. Allow network users to change my files.

Click on OK and that folder should be visible from the W7 machine.
(On My network I am unlikely to have anyone connected who is a security risk so this blunt version works rather well.)

I have XP, Vista, W7 and Ubuntu with Samba, all sharing folders or complete drives happily.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 05-Jul-11 10:58:49
Print Post

I too had this problem which also applies when networking XP & Vista.
Xp cannot see W7 or Vista unless W7 or Vista is password protected. If you set a password for your W7 machine the XP machine can access the W7 Machine by using the password. You can automate the log in on the W7 machine to avoid using the password each time
Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Tue 05-Jul-11 13:58:24
Print Post

Have you installed LLTD (Link-Layer Topology Discovery) on XP, as I had to do for Vista?

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU BB => 2010: Orange 19 Meg Tweaked / 16 Meg Untweaked LLU BB
Standard User WatchMan
(member) Tue 05-Jul-11 15:26:09
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Hi XRaySpeX,

Yes I have installed LLTD on XP and confrimed this through the Wireless Network Connection properties.
Standard User WatchMan
(member) Tue 05-Jul-11 15:34:04
Print Post

[re: philippercival] [link to this post]

I have the 'My Documents' folder icon displaying a hand beneath it in XP. To me that indicates that it is a shared folder, yet I cannot access it from my Windows 7 PC. My Windows 7 PC can see the XP machine but I am refused access to it, therefore denying access to shared folders.
Standard User WatchMan
(member) Tue 05-Jul-11 15:36:36
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

To use the password or not to use it, that is the question. In other places I have read that password protection should be disabled.
Standard User Black
(newbie) Tue 05-Jul-11 19:16:23
Print Post

looks like you didn't make it yet.Your problem is permissions, there are NTFS and security permissions and
both need setting correctly.The way to do it is to create a group, I just use the "everybody" group because its there. Share a folder with the win7 pc first and set the advanced share options, you then need to go to
the security tab and do the same (say so if you can't get the folder added to the group) Then (in XP) try typing
SHRPUBW into the start/run box and following it through, use custom permission settings, it should auto
add the shared folder to the everyone group ( if not, add an everyone group).Passwords are not needed.
I hope this helps, I don't think I explain well. It all works fine here so it will work fine there eventually.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to