Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User chris6273
(member) Wed 13-Jul-11 02:50:44
Print Post

Best module to wire two network cables together

[link to this post]

Hi guys,

I run a CAT6a Gigabit network at home and I will be hitting a bit of a snag when we buy a new LED TV which will probably have an Ethernet port on the back of it for things.etc.

Problem: At the current moment in time, there are two ethernet ports located behind the old TV spot which is a CRT. It has a PS3 using one and has one spare. Because it is a CRT, it goes quite easily into the corner of our lounge.

When we buy our new TV (Next year or the year after probably) we will be placing it in our music room, directly attached to our lounge but it will be on a completely different side of the room. See the diagram below for the current network layout for the lounge and music room (Sorry for the poor drawing - Paint is rubbish):

TV Question Network Picture

The network wiring is mostly handled in the attic where I have my servers and switches housed.

I have a couple of options but I'm not sure which one would work the best and be the most professional with the things I want:

I could just lay some new cables out to the new TV spot but I would not feel very good wasting the existing CAT6a cable which is behind the CRT (And will not be used once the new LED TV is purchased because our PS3 and Wii.etc will only be played on the new TV).

1. The best option I thought of is: What is the Best module to wire two network cables together?
If I pull the existing CAT6a cables back up from behind the TV and stretched them across the attic as far as possible to the new location and then used a connector of some sort to connect it to a new length of cable to complete the stretch, I think it would work.
The only way I can think of doing that at the moment is getting a switch module and wiring the existing cable to the back of it and wiring the new cable to the back of it aswell. Is there a dedicated module specifically designed for this (Bonding two copper CAT6a cables together)?
This option would be completely free apart from having to buy 2 new specific modules (If they exist). I have plenty of CAT5 and CAT6a cable left for future improvements to the network.

2. The other option is to take one of the cables out of the bedroom, terminate it near to the new TV location (Running it through conduit over the door) and stick a switch on the end of it. Apart from having to drill a hole in the wall to put a cable through from the switch to the bedroom (Both ports in the bedroom are normally utilised so they will still need to be active) it will not be very future-proof for the network and it will cost money for the new (Gigabit) switch.

So basically the reason why I am asking is because the old ports (and cables therefore) at the old location of the TV will become redundant when we get this new TV so I am not sure what i'm going to do when there is going to be two perfectly good (working) ports left sitting there behind the old TV.

Any ideas?

-------------------------------------------------------------------
6851kbps Throughput:
My Broadband Speed Test

Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 8128 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 13.0 db 10.0 db
Max(Kbps): 11616 1056

Edited by chris6273 (Wed 13-Jul-11 02:53:52)

Standard User Sandgrounder
(knowledge is power) Wed 13-Jul-11 10:15:35
Print Post

Re: Best module to wire two network cables together

[re: chris6273] [link to this post]

RJ45 Connector

Line One:- Zen - DrayTek Vigor 2600VG
Line Two:- EntaNet (Aquiss) - DrayTek Vigor 2600
Standard User MHC
(legend) Wed 13-Jul-11 10:17:19
Print Post

You can get small 8 terminal Cat5/6 junction boxes.

However, I would suggest running a new cable and leave the existing there for two reasons - firstly hassle and cost of the box ... secondly, you can be sure that soon after recovering one cable you will find that you should have left it in place.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MHC
(legend) Wed 13-Jul-11 10:19:16
Print Post

[re: Sandgrounder] [link to this post]

That would require RJ45 connectors to be attached to the cabling and putting connectors on infrastructure cables is a bit hit and miss - the cable is not designed for use with that type of connector.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User eckiedoo
(newbie) Wed 13-Jul-11 11:09:59
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

I agree with MHC.

You would always be left with the uncertainty of the reliability of the connector (Two Actual Connections in each wire of the cable).

The Connector might either end up in a very inconvenient location difficult to access; or you may have to under-utilise the present cable length to keep the connector in a convenient location.
Standard User ukhardy07
(member) Wed 13-Jul-11 11:50:26
Print Post

I would personally lay some new cables or invest in a good wifi network.

The wii and ps3 can all be wi-fi enabled and new TVs often have Wi-Fi.

I wouldn't bother trying to extend the current cabling either way.
Standard User chris6273
(member) Fri 15-Jul-11 04:51:47
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

Thanks for your replies guys.

I think I will take the time to lay another two Cat6a cables to the new location when we get the TV without extending the old ones.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
6851kbps Throughput:
My Broadband Speed Test

Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 8128 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 13.0 db 10.0 db
Max(Kbps): 11616 1056
  Print Thread

Jump to