Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User DaveSmith2020
(newbie) Thu 21-Jul-11 13:00:41
Print Post

Pumping out g and n

[link to this post]

I have a house with thick walls. Downstairs, I struggle to get a wireless signal from my router installed in my upstairs office. It is a Netgear g type router.

The devices I use are a PS3, iphone 3GS and ipad 2.

Since the ipad 2 picks up n and the iphone 3GS picks up g, does that mean that if the router is set to n settings, the iphone 3GS will not pick up a signal since it is not n compatible?

Not sure what PS3 picks up but I presume g.

Thanks,

Jon
Standard User Daniel_g
(newbie) Thu 21-Jul-11 13:33:15
Print Post

Re: Pumping out g and n

[re: DaveSmith2020] [link to this post]

Hello

I have one of the new home hubs for bt infinity and this is set to 144Mps n standard and my phone links up at 72Mps on a good day, printer does 60 something so must be using n as g stops at 54Mps. Sisters iphone (same as yours) works and if this is older g wireless then set router to n does not stop the older g devices but they link slower. sisters phone on a speed check to internet gives about 2.5Mbs and me gets 10 on a good day, not to happy as internet come in at 33Mbs but point is all devices work so ok for you I guess. The settings in the home hub say wireless B/G and N so must all work together but the better wireless devices are quicker.

Changed sisters computer miniPCI wireless card as only g standard and she is getting infinity, computer would never keep up. Speedchecked and 10Mbs, I get 33, changed board to newer one from ebay and now 33Mbs like me so another point proved. g and n work together.
Standard User chris6273
(member) Thu 21-Jul-11 13:36:10
Print Post

[re: DaveSmith2020] [link to this post]

Hi DaveSmith2020,

To answer your question - Yes, your wireless 'g' devices should be able to connect to a wireless 'n' enabled access point/router because they are usually backward compatible (The wireless access points).

-------------------------------------------------------------------
6851kbps Throughput:
My Broadband Speed Test

Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 8128 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 13.0 db 10.0 db
Max(Kbps): 11616 1056

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User DaveSmith2020
(newbie) Thu 21-Jul-11 17:26:20
Print Post

[re: chris6273] [link to this post]

Thanks guys. I went for a Billioin 7000N router that can do both g and n simultaneously. smile
  Print Thread

Jump to