Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User jodiep
(newbie) Fri 05-Aug-11 17:32:34
Print Post

Advice for broadband (Home business)

[link to this post]

hello everyone. I have had BT as an internet provide for over 2 years and everything was fine untill I actually started my own business (at home). I m sharing my wireless network with two other workers. I was wondering if you guys could help me out in chosing the best broadband for my business. I have tried to liaise with BT but they dont seem to get back to me with the right solution. I have checked Sky (broadband) and they look ok. I mean, they have reviews and all but I dont know til what extend they will be good a internet provider for more than 1 person. Virgin also has very good deals but to be honest I dont really have time to either go to a comparison website (dont belive in them) and check which are the guys offering the best choice. It would be great if I could have your views. thanks in advance. Jodie
Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Fri 05-Aug-11 18:35:43
Print Post

Re: Advice for broadband (Home business)

[re: jodiep] [link to this post]

What BB package/speed are you on now? Post your router stats. Your issue may have nowt to do with your BB, but your local wireless network and router.

You have given us no real data on which we can advise you frown

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 17 Meg Untweaked 19 Meg Tweaked WBC
Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Fri 05-Aug-11 20:49:50
Print Post

I was wondering if you guys could help me out in chosing the best broadband for my business.

What is it and what do you require from a broadband connection?

Are you willing to pay extra for an ISP's buisiness package rather than their domestic BB packages if needs be?

What providers can be found in your exchange then?

Alastair

omadasafisho

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 06-Aug-11 00:28:18
Print Post

If for business and claiming it as a business expense, then you probably should really use a provider that can at least provide a VAT invoice

BT will insist on you using their business range
Sky terms say no business use

Virgin - if you are talking about their cable network then fine, but if the Virgin National Service then avoid

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User MHC
(legend) Sun 07-Aug-11 19:40:45
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

A Home/Res service will have a VAT invoice too. However, HMRC and in and in advance of them, the accountant auditor, may well reject a Residential Service invoice addressed to Mr XXXX unless proof that it is only used for business can be provided and even then may still raise objections.

I have been involved with a few sole traders and small companies and in a couple of cases they have tried to claim their residential BB as an expense which has been rejected. The easiest solution was to migrate from BT Res to BT Business - slight increase in cost with no contract break fees though and everything was then fine.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
  Print Thread

Jump to