Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User sandro
(newbie) Sat 06-Aug-11 14:50:15
Print Post

Powerline NL-HPW200. Why can I only connect with data once?

[link to this post]

Hi to all.

I bought a 200Mbps Powerline Ethernet Adapter and this works fine around the house. I can get wired internet in all rooms over the power circuitry.

I also bought a 200Mbps Powerline Wireless Access Point. It too hooks into the power circuitry of the home, and works with the Adapter (above) so I can get a wireless signal and data over it normally. This works with any of my wireless devices.

If I then move with a wireless device into another room and hook up to another wireless point, then that works fine as well.

BUT if I then return to the Powerline WAP, my wireless device sees it, connects to it, it gets an ip address, but this time I can get no data traffic.

It's probably obvious that I'm a newbie! Can anyone please help?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 06-Aug-11 20:37:08
Print Post

Re: Powerline NL-HPW200. Why can I only connect with data o

[re: sandro] [link to this post]

Is the IP address in the correct range for the network you are connecting to?

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User sandro
(newbie) Sun 07-Aug-11 15:03:31
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I'm pretty sure it is. I can see the different IP address that are being assigned to each device that connects to the Powerline WAP. I can see the range of IP addresses that are allowed under INTERNET SETTINGS, then LAN SETUP in the web based management interface from the browser. The assigned IP addresses differ only in the last number 192.196.1.xxx where xxx can be anything between 1 and 254, and is usually 1, 2, 3 or some such low number. At times it is higher - I think I saw 60 once.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User saturn_uranus
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 07-Aug-11 23:48:19
Print Post

[re: sandro] [link to this post]

This is really obvious and simple, and you've probably checked already, but it caught me out once. The Powerline WAP doesn't have the same IP address as your router does it? I remember doing a setup with some Solwise units some time ago and the Powerline WAP sat on the same IP address as the Orange Livebox the guy had. Took me ages to realise for some reason tongue

_______
Virgin media 50Mb formerly be* Pro

http://www.speedtest.net/result/768833128.png
  Print Thread

Jump to