Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Mon 15-Aug-11 17:25:45
Print Post

modem for virginmedia?

[link to this post]

Hello all, I am a new member, who has recently signed up with Virginmedia - the 30meg package. I had to call out a technician as my broadband service is a bit dodgy on one side of the house (ie. the other side to the side which has the modem) . The technician told me it was a 'wireless' issue, that the modem (virgin superhub) was not strong enough and may be clashing with other modems in the street! He said to get an 'external' modem - eg Belkin - which he reckons only cost around £35 - but that I would have to switch off the wireless in the virgin modem as can't have both.
I had a look at prices, but am very confused - does he mean a modem, or just a router? There are belkin routers available for that price, but modems are a lot more expensive, and presumably I need to use the superhub for the TV anyway??? I have a 3 bed house, and can't use my netbook upstairs or my android phone - unless I am in the room immediately over the superhub.. can anyone recommend a modem (or is it router?) for virginmedia?
Standard User micksharpe
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 15-Aug-11 17:35:39
Print Post

Re: modem for virginmedia?

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

You need a wireless router. They work with any ISP. You could also use a wireless modem and turn off the WAN (broadband) port. Belkin have a poor reputation. Netgear are OK but pricey. I have had good results with Edimax kit but I haven't tried one of their routers.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
“Hollywood is like life, you face it with the sum total of your equipment.” -- Joan Crawford
It Ought to be Easy | Greasemonkey scripts
Standard User MHC
(legend) Mon 15-Aug-11 17:36:37
Print Post

Re: modem for virginmedia? *DELETED*

Post deleted by MHC

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User micksharpe
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 15-Aug-11 17:47:31
Print Post

MHC was correct - a wireless access point would do. Before you spend any money, install inSSIDer on a laptop - this will show you any wireless devices that may be interfering with you own equipment.

Other people who can give you more detailed advice will doubtless be along shortly.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
“Hollywood is like life, you face it with the sum total of your equipment.” -- Joan Crawford
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 16-Aug-11 09:29:06
Print Post

[re: micksharpe] [link to this post]

yeap wireless access point is what you want, forget all this router and modem talk.
Stick to using the Virgin device to terminate the line.

Run an ethernet cable from the superhub to an optimal location for the new wireless access point.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User MHC
(legend) Tue 16-Aug-11 10:03:46
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

That's basically what I said - I don't know why I deleted my post! and cannot remember doing it either. At least the OP may have a copy and Mick saw it

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 16-Aug-11 11:21:42
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Many thanks for the fast responses - but the original post re. wireless access point has gone - so what is a wireless access point and how do I set one up???
Standard User micksharpe
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 16-Aug-11 11:36:15
Print Post

A wireless access point basically replicates the wireless bits in the modem/router and is connected to it over the wired network. It is configured in a similar manner to the wireless port on the router, i.e. channel selection, encryption keys, etc. Configuration will normally be done using a web interface over the wired network, as for the router.

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 16-Aug-11 11:45:07
Print Post

Oh, OK - just looked it up and found some on Amazon - but set up does sound a little technical, also not sure if they are specific to ADSL or Cable or does it matter? Found an Edimax EW74-16APN for £32 which sounds quite good, but will it work with cable modem?
http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/B001HW0JVU/r...

But then again, this TP-link one is half the price - will it also do the job?
http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-WA701ND-150Mbps-W...
Standard User micksharpe
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 16-Aug-11 11:54:15
Print Post

They are not specific to ADSL/Cable - they connect using one of the modem/router's ethernet (LAN) ports and, in fact, know nothing about your Internet connection.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to