Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User jmgraham
(newbie) Tue 16-Aug-11 21:10:28
Print Post

Gigabit home network

[link to this post]

Just getting BT infinity installed in a few days. I want to install a gigabit network in my house (2 year old timber framed, 2 floors), not sure of whether to take job on myself or try to find someone local to do job (Dundee) Anyone know whats the going rate for a small install, around 6 points back to central location. Dont want trunking or anything like that.
Standard User MHC
(legend) Tue 16-Aug-11 23:38:03
Print Post

Re: Gigabit home network

[re: jmgraham] [link to this post]

Do it yourself ... You will make a neater job (it will meet your standards) and your will spend more time calling people and arranging times, watching them &c that it would take to install yourself.

You will need to buy a Krone/punch tool to make the connections but that is all you will need over and above buying the materials.

There would be plenty of help & advice here. Have a look at a few recent threads on exactly what you are planning.

Thread: http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/multiuser/t/4011068...
http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/multiuser/t/3960070...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit

Edited by MHC (Tue 16-Aug-11 23:41:34)

Standard User geoexplore
(newbie) Wed 17-Aug-11 08:44:05
Print Post

[re: jmgraham] [link to this post]

I've just done the same but with about 30 points around the house and as we were having the house re-wired and insulated I had the electrician lay the cables whilst the floors were pulled up and the battans were being put in before the insulation. The electricians put the gangue plates in but the rest I've done and it seems to be working OK. You do have to keep an eye on them though as I did find they had laid the CAT cable next to the mains wire in one place and had to get them to pull it and move it so doing it yourself is probably a better way to go.
Cheers

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User joconnell
(experienced) Fri 19-Aug-11 20:29:31
Print Post

[re: geoexplore] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by geoexplore:
You do have to keep an eye on them though as I did find they had laid the CAT cable next to the mains wire in one place and had to get them to pull it and move it so doing it yourself is probably a better way to go.

Before moving in, I had the electricans install additional power sockets and switches and lay down the cat5 cabling in most rooms of the house, terminating it in backboxes which I finished off myself and at a central point in the garage (part of the house) which I also finished off after they neatly trunked the cabling and mounted a 4U hinged rack on the wall.

They hadn't worked with data cabling before so I was very clear on exactly what they had to do and avoid doing, like numbering the cables at each end, not running parallel to mains cables, and keeping the back boxes at least 100mm from power points. It was mostly fine except for one pair of cat5 cables that hadn't been properly capped and ended up being stuck in concrete/plaster, which'll no doubt cause problems in future - shame it's the network point beside my ADSL socket.

If you do get someone in to do the job, you'll need to keep an eye on them. Also, allow for plenty of slack in the cabling at each end, it'll make life much easier for you.
  Print Thread

Jump to