Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User expipexer
(learned) Wed 24-Aug-11 12:26:49
Print Post

powerline adaptor and BT Infinity

[link to this post]

Help I'm beginning to panic. BT are coming tomorrow to set up Infinity. The master socket and router is well away from my ofice and I've been using Netgear AV 200 powerline adaptor kit to connect my main desktop with ethernet cable in office, couple of laptops in other rooms connect wirelessly from the router. I thought the poweline adaptor set up would work the same with Infinity and BT home hub but now I'm wondering...any others had experience with this?
Standard User MHC
(legend) Wed 24-Aug-11 12:33:37
Print Post

Re: powerline adaptor and BT Infinity

[re: expipexer] [link to this post]

As the adapter is plugged into the router on an Ethernet connection, it should not matter what the access bearer is - ADSL, VDSL, Cable, Dial up, Satellite ...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User TheHorseman
(knowledge is power) Wed 24-Aug-11 12:46:20
Print Post

The powerline adapters will work in exactly the same way with Infinity. I initially was using Devolo 200Mbps devices with Infinity but found that they were limiting the connection to just under 30Mbps (The Infinity connection was fine it was just the throughput of the Devolos). You may not have that problem as it is dependant on your mains wiring. Other people have reported 200Mbps adapters working ok.

BT -> Zen -> F2S -> Bulldog -> Be* -> BT Infinity
Far too many computers, 1 Wife, 3 Maine Coons and too many horses smile

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User expipexer
(learned) Wed 24-Aug-11 15:20:43
Print Post

thanks for your comments. I feel a bit easier now, I had visions of the engineer having to run cable round doors etc (might still have to I suppose) just have to see how the speeds go with my present set up.
Standard User expipexer
(regular) Thu 25-Aug-11 16:10:33
Print Post

Well, I can confirm the powerline kit handles the speed just the same as a direct cable as far as the speedtest goes anyway. It's the first day so hope thingsdont alter after a few days.
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/button/13142...
Standard User nelix01
(member) Thu 25-Aug-11 18:36:11
Print Post

Hi, I am using 3 Comtrend 200Mbps to connect my Home Hub 3 to BT Vision and a work Laptop in my office in the back garden. Current getting a steady 38Mbps connection to Infinity at the PC but see around 21Mbps throughput on the powerline adaptors.

Standard User Shielder
(experienced) Fri 26-Aug-11 10:34:19
Print Post

[re: nelix01] [link to this post]

Okay, I'm not on Infinity (I'm on Sky) but I've got the old (and cheap) 85Mbps powerline adapters installed in my house. They're going from the lounge (router) through 2 fuse boxes to the study (don't ask, we inherited this setup when we bought the house) and I still get about 10Mbps through the connection.

Not great, but it isn't bad, and I still get to play World of Tanks in the evening with no problems... smile

Andy

The Joshua Tree Holiday House and Support Centre for Courageous Kids and their Families.

Going for a world record in 15th - 22nd October: most coins collected in a week for charity.

Edited by Shielder (Fri 26-Aug-11 10:34:38)

Print Thread

Jump to