Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User miraj
(newbie) Mon 29-Aug-11 22:49:43
Print Post

setting up wireless repeater

[link to this post]

I have recently purchased a TP-link TL-WA901ND wireless N access point with repeater capability. My broadband provider is orange who supplied me with a Netgear DGN1000 router. I want to set up the TP-link to be able to boost the signal of the netgear router. I've tried using the instructions provided by tp-link, however I have not managed to get it to work.

the problem seems to be when i'm trying to link the two devices together using the QSS method. it keeps coming up as connection error. how do i get the two devices set up so that the tp-link repeats the signal of the netgear router?
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Mon 05-Sep-11 11:34:12
Print Post

Re: setting up wireless repeater

[re: miraj] [link to this post]

no idea what the QSS method is.

Much wireless repeating is based on WDS, which requires the firmware to support it as you enter the MAC of the other gadget into the setup of each.

As well as firmware support it is often the case that compatible chipsetsd (ie the same) are also required to make WDS work well.

Google tells me QSS is a security thing, I would start trying to get repeating to work without any security, then increase the security in steps until it breaks the repeating - WDS may only support WEP for example.

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Are your kids pirates ? Limewire, Bearshare, Kazaa, BitTorrent, eMule are all tools of the trade.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 07-Dec-11 10:33:44
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

I also have a netgear router provided by orange and a tp link repeater, and so far all the instructions I've had have been quite complicated, I've tried to follow them as best I can but I still don't think the repeater is connected to the router. Can anyone help?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User micksharpe
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 07-Dec-11 11:20:48
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

WDS does only support WEP, iirc. The OP would be much better off with a wired access point.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
Our democracy is but a name. We vote? What does that mean?
It means that we choose between two bodies of real, though not avowed, autocrats.
We choose between Tweedledum and Tweedledee.
Helen Keller
It Ought to be Easy | Greasemonkey scripts
Standard User micksharpe
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 07-Dec-11 11:23:07
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

Some routers will not operate as both access point and WDS device. You need to check the specs.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
Our democracy is but a name. We vote? What does that mean?
It means that we choose between two bodies of real, though not avowed, autocrats.
We choose between Tweedledum and Tweedledee.
Helen Keller
It Ought to be Easy | Greasemonkey scripts
Standard User ghuli_danda
(experienced) Tue 20-Dec-11 19:17:57
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

I am on Orange and they have provided me with the standard Netgear dg1000 n150 modem/router as well - it does not support WDS, which is a problem for me as I was hoping it would work with a TP-Link router I have upstairs.

See here: http://openwrt.picopoint.com/SimpleWDS.jpg
and: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wireless_distribution_s...

I am going to have to buy a replacement for the Netgear.
Standard User Deadbeat
(knowledge is power) Tue 20-Dec-11 23:02:05
Print Post

[re: ghuli_danda] [link to this post]

It would have been better to buy a pair of homeplugs with a WAP or suitably set up wireless router on the end one if wireless access is still necessary. WDS reduces throughput and limits security options.
  Print Thread

Jump to