Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User 0001ms
(newbie) Sun 04-Sep-11 14:19:12
Print Post

Best setup for home network....?

[link to this post]

Hi, I'm about to set up my home network. I have BT Infinity with a Draytek Vigor 2750 modem/router and a random managed 8 port gigabit switch.

I'll be connect all of the kids computers to the switch and was wondering if it would be better for me to connect my computer straight to the router or through the switch?

I will be sharing file with the other computers and I want the best ping times possible.

Thoughts?

Thanls smile
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sun 04-Sep-11 14:54:57
Print Post

Re: Best setup for home network....?

[re: 0001ms] [link to this post]

If you're connected to the router you will lose the network when the router reboots.

______________________________________________________________________________. __________________
Standard User 0001ms
(newbie) Sun 04-Sep-11 15:14:38
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

oh ok, thanks. This is the kind of thing I wanted to find out. smile

Edited by 0001ms (Sun 04-Sep-11 15:15:26)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sun 04-Sep-11 15:18:48
Print Post

Are you going to replace the OR modem with the Draytek?

______________________________________________________________________________. __________________
Standard User MHC
(legend) Sun 04-Sep-11 15:44:51
Print Post

You will only loose access to the other PCs for the few seconds it take for the router to reboot. But how often will that happen? Only when you instruct it to.

However, connecting yourself to the switch will keep latency down - but will only save you 0.1 ms or so ... but it is the right way to do it. Leave the modem/router to do what it does best - act as a modem and the switch to do the switching.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User 0001ms
(newbie) Sun 04-Sep-11 16:04:51
Print Post

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
Are you going to replace the OR modem with the Draytek?

Yes

In reply to a post by MHC:
You will only loose access to the other PCs for the few seconds it take for the router to reboot. But how often will that happen? Only when you instruct it to.

However, connecting yourself to the switch will keep latency down - but will only save you 0.1 ms or so ... but it is the right way to do it. Leave the modem/router to do what it does best - act as a modem and the switch to do the switching.

Alrite, thanks. Very informative.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sun 04-Sep-11 16:08:11
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

But if you have a LAN with dynamic IP's then the PC connected to the router will lose its IP address and any networking in progress will abort.

Edited by BatBoy (Sun 04-Sep-11 16:08:44)

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sun 04-Sep-11 16:41:34
Print Post

no the pc wont loose its address with DHCP if the DHCP server stops. It will only loose it at the end of the DHCP lease time, assuming the DHCP server has not come back in that time

Dave
Standard User prlzx
(committed) Sun 04-Sep-11 16:45:44
Print Post

Edit: beaten to the reply by Anon smile

nope, dynamic IPs are not revoked as soon as the DHCP server goes offline. DHCP leases remain valid for some time, hours days or weeks however you want to set it up.

Only connections that are passing through the router (or accessiing a service on the router) will stop.

If all the PCs are connected to the switch then LAN networking including established connections for sharing files and printers will continue, though some OSes will report the network status as limited if they are polling the default gateway and detect it being down.

Devices that are unlucky to be joining the network while DHCP server is off will assign themselves a link-local (169.254) address, but the OS has the option to can keep trying to contact a DHCP server even after that point.

prompt $P - Invalid drive specification - Abort, Retry, Fail? $G
prlzx on n e w n e t Max ADSL

Edited by prlzx (Sun 04-Sep-11 16:46:30)

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sun 04-Sep-11 21:55:03
Print Post

[re: prlzx] [link to this post]

As I said, the PC connected to the router.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to