Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User swayzak
(newbie) Thu 22-Sep-11 22:57:34
Print Post

Improving my wireless network - help please

[link to this post]

Hi

I've been having alot of internet dropouts recently.

To cut a long story short, it appears to be related to the legacy phone wiring in my house (many phone sockets, no proper master socket etc.).

So Open Reach came out at weekend, put new phoneline to house & fitted a nice modern mastersocket, with internal test socket, but this is now in a corner room - with inferior wireless signal in some of the other rooms.

Never had more than 2.7 speed before - O2 ran test on Test socket & we got 5MB speed !

However I would ideally like to improve the wireless coverage by either extending from mastersocket into hall - or ethernet cabling to a wireless access point in the hall. Not sure which would be the best solution.

Can anyone advise ?

thanks
Standard User MHC
(legend) Thu 22-Sep-11 23:56:30
Print Post

Re: Improving my wireless network - help please

[re: swayzak] [link to this post]

Leave the modem & router next to the master, then run Cat5 from there out to where you want the WAPs to be located.

You can go even better and wire to a cupboard, install a patch panel and switch and then from there to sockets where needed and connect the WAPs there.

Have a long think about exactly what you want and you will get plenty of advice and assistance.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 23-Sep-11 08:12:26
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Thanks

Having thought a little more I was maybe being a bit silly.

Wouldn't it be better to just run a longer Cat5 cable from the filter at the master socket & put the modem/router in the hall (where I want it) ?

The only wall I have to drill through is a partition which divides the converted garage into office (actually my music studio, and where master socket is) and a small utility room.

From the utility room it's only a few metres round the corner to the hallway table.

Am I likely to lose much bandwidth with a 5 - 10m Cat5 cable run ?

Also is it straightforward to remove/fit cat5 plugs, as this would affect the size of hole I have to drill !

I may run this setup straight from the test socket as this appears to give about 1MB larger bandwidth than the mastersocket (even though I've now disconnected the master from the rest of the house sockets).

Not ideal as I have to leave the face plate off the socket ...

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User swayzak
(newbie) Fri 23-Sep-11 08:17:00
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

(registered post)

Thanks

Having thought a little more I was maybe being a bit silly.

Wouldn't it be better to just run a longer Cat5 cable from the filter at the master socket & put the modem/router in the hall (where I want it) ?

The only wall I have to drill through is a partition which divides the converted garage into office (actually my music studio, and where master socket is) and a small utility room.

From the utility room it's only a few metres round the corner to the hallway table.

Am I likely to lose much bandwidth with a 5 - 10m Cat5 cable run ?

Also is it straightforward to remove/fit cat5 plugs, as this would affect the size of hole I have to drill !

I may run this setup straight from the test socket as this appears to give about 1MB larger bandwidth than the mastersocket (even though I've now disconnected the master from the rest of the house sockets).

Not ideal as I have to leave the face plate off the socket ...

PS I now read about HomePlug networking (via mains wiring) - may be this would be another option ... It's all getting a bit confusing !

Edited by swayzak (Fri 23-Sep-11 09:02:07)

Standard User swayzak
(newbie) Fri 23-Sep-11 12:48:51
Print Post

Sorry to be a pain but can someone advise asap - I'd like to pick some cable up from Maplins on the way home tonight ..

Ethernet plugs - easy to fit / remove ?

Which cable - cat5e ? cat6? UTP ? crossover ? solid ? stranded ?

It gets more confusing the more I look into it !

thanks
Standard User GeeTee
(committed) Fri 23-Sep-11 13:24:01
Print Post

Ethernet plugs - easy to fit / remove ?

Yes, although slightly fiddly. You will need the correct tool and at least a little practice. You will also need to do a little reading up on which colour wires to connect to which pins in order to make sure the pairs are being utilised correctly.

Which cable - cat5e ? cat6? UTP ? crossover ? solid ? stranded ?

The choice is yours.
- Cat6 can perform at higher network speeds than Cat5e. That said Cat5e will happily cope with gigabit network speeds.
- Definitely UTP (unshielded) not STP (shielded)
- Crossover - this is not a consideration if you are putting the connectors on yourself as how you wire the pins determines if the cable is crossover or not.
- Solid v Stranded. Solid performs better but Stranded is far easier to route and fish through walls etc. For your ~10m run the performance difference will be irrelevant so I would recommend going with stranded for ease of installation.

n.b. make sure you get the correct plugs to suit the type of cable and the correct tool to suit the plugs!

EDIT TO ADD: The socket you seem to be planning to connect to on the ADSL filter is actually RJ11 not RJ45.

Edited by GeeTee (Fri 23-Sep-11 13:28:13)

Standard User swayzak
(newbie) Fri 23-Sep-11 13:29:46
Print Post

[re: GeeTee] [link to this post]

Many thanks

Actually I think I'm being stupid again !

What I actually need to do if I plan to move the ADSL modem further from the MasterSocket is an ADSL cable (with RJ11 plugs) not a cat5 ethernet cable.

The bloke at O2 support said they don't recommend this, as the modem should be as close to the Mastersocket as possible.

I did find this though:

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/cabling-faceplate-hel...

http://www.maplin.co.uk/ultra-high-speed-adsl-cables...

This would avoid having to add in a wireless access point in the hall.

Is this a bad idea ?
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 23-Sep-11 13:30:08
Print Post

So if I understand this correctly, you just want to move your router so you can get a better signal. Your modem connects to your router via an RJ45 ethernet cable.

All you need is a patch cable. Since this cable will stay there indefinetaly and you won't be moving it around then solid core is fine but at such short distances it doesn't really matter. You wouldn't notice a difference at all between 5m and 50m.

Don't buy from Maplin. Way too expensive. Check Hot uk deals to catch up on the latest offers. You will probably find something cheap from amazon or ebay
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 23-Sep-11 13:36:21
Print Post

why not keep your modem as close to the master socket as possible and get a long CAT5e/CAT6 cable to put the wireless router somewhere else. Otherwise, you can keep both the modem and wireless router where they are, and get a wireless access point. You connect the WAP to the router's LAN interface via an ethernet cable and you give it the same SSID and password as the original router.

If you can get away with just moving the router, go with that option. If not, get an additional WAP. Let us know which you prefer
Standard User GeeTee
(committed) Fri 23-Sep-11 13:38:14
Print Post

As long as you use decent quality CW1308 standard cable it will be fine. Cheaper than Cat5 or 6 too smile

Personally I would run it as a proper extension off the punch down connectors in the master socket rather than rj11 plug into the adsl filter.

So you will need, CW1308 cable, telephone extension socket, IDC punch down tool, suitable sized clips. Then if you like you could use an ADSL filter faceplate on the extension socket or simply plug the adsl filter into th the socket.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to