Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User infra_red
(member) Sun 25-Sep-11 17:00:42
Print Post

Powerline adapter question

[link to this post]

Hi

On my consumer unit I have 3 separate switches for sockets wihtin my house - suggesting that they are on 3 individual loops.

Am I correct in thinking that powerline adapters will only work if they are on the same loop?
Standard User soapysoutar
(learned) Sun 25-Sep-11 18:18:20
Print Post

Re: Powerline adapter question

[re: infra_red] [link to this post]

I have seperate switches in my switch box for the upstairs and downstairs sockets, but my homeplug adaptors work perfectly fine between upstairs and down.
Standard User infra_red
(member) Mon 26-Sep-11 11:53:52
Print Post

[re: soapysoutar] [link to this post]

Thanks that's good to know.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Thu 29-Sep-11 19:10:04
Print Post

if they're all your side of a single meter then there's a common point for them to connect through.

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Are your kids pirates ? Limewire, Bearshare, Kazaa, BitTorrent, eMule are all tools of the trade.
Standard User mistral
(experienced) Thu 06-Oct-11 23:47:43
Print Post

In reply to a post by infra_red:
Hi

On my consumer unit I have 3 separate switches for sockets wihtin my house - suggesting that they are on 3 individual loops.

Am I correct in thinking that powerline adapters will only work if they are on the same loop?

They work better on the same loop. They start to loose speed when you go across fuse's and such things. You can even get them to work past the meter sometimes.

However they can also stop if you turn the washing machine on smile
Use a drilling machine / vacum cleaner. Stuff with electric motors normally causes the noise to kill the signal. Something that can help with a problem device is to install a really long extension on it (eg a vacum cleaner). Just like long adsl lines. It can kill the signal (in this case interference)

Or the worst I have seen a cheap ebay replacement laptop power supply. I could either charge the battery or use the net connection!!!

Print Thread

Jump to