Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User elysiumuk
(newbie) Mon 26-Sep-11 11:11:38
Print Post

Master Socket v Bell Wire Removal v iPlate

[link to this post]

I have finally found some time to attempt to improve my broadband speed. My broadband speed was around 1843 kbps and was connected to an extension socket.

I was also getting lots of disconnections which after getting O2 to run some line tests it appeared there was a fault on my router. The router has now been replaced and my connection stability has improved and I haven't had any disconnections since. I would recommend anyone with an old O2 wireless box II (my box was over 4 years old) to get O2 to replace it). The new router also has an improved wireless signal around the house, presumably due to increased power and/or improved firmware.

I connected it to the master socket (the main BT socket) and saw no improvement. I then opened the socket and connected directly to the test socket which showed a dramatic speed improvement, doubling to 4048 kbps.

I then removed the bell wires (the extension sockets were connected directly to the master socket so 3 bell wires had to be removed) and was disappointed at only receiving 3300 kbps. I then moved the router back onto the extension socket and had a surprising small increase to 3313 kbps.

So, I am now trying to figure out how to get 4048 kbps without having to leave the socket open and allowing my 2 year old to pull it off the wall!

I've been reading lots about the iplate and I'm getting differing opinions. Some are saying that it only disables the bell wire, which I have already done. Other say it also reduces interference. Will an iplate allow me to realise the 4048 kbps?

If an iplate will do nothing in addition, is there anything I can buy which will allow me to connect directly to the test socket without leaving the cover hanging and wires exposed that little fingers can tamper with?
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Mon 26-Sep-11 11:23:37
Print Post

Re: Master Socket v Bell Wire Removal v iPlate

[re: elysiumuk] [link to this post]

iplate also has a rf filter but to get that 4meg u will need a service filter front plate, available online such as clarity or bt will fit one if your isp raises a fault. but they are only 15quid if u diy it.
Standard User GeeTee
(committed) Mon 26-Sep-11 11:58:02
Print Post

[re: elysiumuk] [link to this post]

If you are happy having the router at the master socket then one of the BT NTE2000 faceplates will do the job.

e.g.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NTE2000-ADSL-Faceplate-Fil...

Your extension wiring will need connecting to the IDC connections on the rear of the faceplate and will be filtered i.e. there will be no DSL signal on any of the extensions - so no need for any dangly filters.

If you need the ADSL signal on one of the extensions then something like Clarity's modified NTE2000:
http://www.clarity.it/telecoms/adsl_faceplate_mod.htm

Which provides connections for both filtered and unfiltered extensions. i.e. you would just connect the one extension you want ADSL on to the unfltered connectors and the rest to the filtered.

I have heard mixed reviews about the Clarity faceplate in terms of DSL performance - but I've only used one once and it worked just fine. Never had any problems with the Pressac made BT ones.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 26-Sep-11 12:03:14
Print Post

[re: GeeTee] [link to this post]

The reason the faceplates will generally help, is that the two wires running off to the extensions should have less influence on the ADSL signal using a faceplate.

Hence why for VDSL services it is filtered this way.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
  Print Thread

Jump to