Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User AJHB
(learned) Tue 27-Sep-11 14:16:27
Print Post

Home networking, master socket, star wiring questions

[link to this post]

Iím having loads of building work done including a complete rewiring so I decided I might as well lay down a wired network at the same time. The electrician laid down some cat 6 cable to various points across the house leading to a networking cupboard where I will put a switch.

Now my phone wiring uses old school star wiring with the phone line coming into the house at 3 points to old style master sockets with a extension off one of them. Building work destroyed all but one of these master sockets. The electricians while I was away laid some new cat 6 cable outside thinking I would have a new master socket inside the networking cupboard. I would then need an extension for a phone.

I donít know whether this is the write call or not. I was thinking of getting fttc at some point so I donít how BT would react to this setup. Would they only install fttc on one of their installed master sockets and would they be fussy about where this is placed? I donít know what sort of socket my electrician would install. Is it worth removing all the old unnecessary connections to old now removed master sockets?

I was planning just to keep my old socket where it was and connect a modem/router to the switch via a cat 6 cable. The advantage of that is the old master socket is closer to the outside so if BT did install a proper demarcation point in the future they may prefer to put it there.
Standard User GeeTee
(committed) Tue 27-Sep-11 14:21:15
Print Post

Re: Home networking, master socket, star wiring questions

[re: AJHB] [link to this post]

Certainly doing away with the star wiring should improve things.

One important thing to note is that legally only Openreach can relocate the master socket as it remains their property.

You say the phone line enters the property at 3 points - where is the junction box that those 3 cable come from?

And what is the Cat 6 cable being laid "outside" for exactly?
Standard User AJHB
(learned) Tue 27-Sep-11 14:46:53
Print Post

[re: GeeTee] [link to this post]

The master socket attaches to a junction box on the outside wall of the house. This in turn connects to another junction box where my line and my neighbourís line forks off from a cable coming out of the ground.

I'm not sure the idea of BT owning the master socket applies with star wiring as that would imply for my setup 3 demarcation points and that even disconnecting a master socket would be illegal. Surely the BT ownership would end at the junction box.

Think he's using cat 6 to connect up the new master socket from the junction box outside.

Edited by AJHB (Tue 27-Sep-11 14:55:13)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 27-Sep-11 14:49:38
Print Post

Hence why they have a £25 + VAT fee to fit a regularised master socket, leaving extension wiring to you.

Was free for a while.

If done with proper BT socketry and decent cabling you'll probably be OK, but you cannot be sure until you have them out for a fault/install.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User GeeTee
(committed) Tue 27-Sep-11 15:33:25
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

The only time I've seen a fault related charge levied against someone who has moved or meddled with an Openreach master socket was when it was that meddling that caused the fault. Otherwise engineers just seem to turn a blind eye. (**Disclaimer - Past experience is no guarantee of future events etc.)

That said, running cat 6 from junction box to master socket seems a little like overkill and paying the £25+VAT for regularisation is probably going to cost less than the electrician's time and materials. Successfully managing to get the line rental provider to submit a regularisation request rather than a much more expensive NTE shift is another matter of course laugh
Standard User AJHB
(learned) Tue 27-Sep-11 15:36:31
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

hmm the electricians plan seems to be to used cat 6 to wire up an NTE with adsl filter face plate in my network cupboard up to the point where me and my neighbourgh's line splits bypassing the star wiring. Not entirely sure what hes doing is legal....
Standard User AJHB
(learned) Tue 27-Sep-11 15:39:02
Print Post

[re: GeeTee] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by GeeTee:
That said, running cat 6 from junction box to master socket seems a little like overkill and paying the £25+VAT for regularisation is probably going to cost less than the electrician's time and materials. Successfully managing to get the line rental provider to submit a regularisation request rather than a much more expensive NTE shift is another matter of course laugh

Well I have the electrician here anyway rewiring everything and he has already laid some cat 6 outside and he seems to know what he's doing.
Standard User GeeTee
(committed) Tue 27-Sep-11 15:55:53
Print Post

Is the Cat6 cable going to buried or clipped to the external wall? Worth checking with your electrician that he's using exterior grade cable if so, the PVC insulation on the usual internal stuff degrades in sunlight and is not guaranteed to be waterproof.

Might be preferable to use external grade CW1308B cable for the run - that way Openreach wouldn't easily be able to tell it wasn't their installation. Generally Openreach tend to terminate the CW1308B in a junction box as soon as it enters the property and the run continued in interior grade CW1308.

Oh and going back to the first post
- no, Openreach won't care where the master socket is as long as it is accessible.
- either putting the BT Infinity (or other FTTC provider) modem in the cupboard, or retaining the master socket where it is and using cat6 to the cupboard from it would both work fine. So it's really just a matter of what is most convenient for you.
  Print Thread

Jump to