Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Hellish
(regular) Wed 28-Sep-11 23:14:33
Print Post

Connecting Speedtouch 546v6 to tomato firmware with Sky llu

[link to this post]

I have bought a Speedtouch 546v6 adsl 2+ modem, which I want to connect with my Asus RT-N16 router running tomoato firmware.

My sky connection is VPI=0, VCI=38, PPPoA VC Based with a dynamic ip address.

http://www.roysindre.no/a/2010/11/30/speedtouch-brid...

I have followed the above guide, making a few changes but I still can not connect.

I have put the tomato router on 10.0.0.1 gateway, and the Speedtouch 546v6 is on 192.168.1.254.

I assume that guide is geared towards a pppoe connection. I see no option in the cli for the speedtouch. I would be greatful if someone could modify the script posted there for my connection.

I take it when this is done correctly, I would just put the sky user name and password into the pppoe connection settings on my tomato firmware.

Many thanks.
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Thu 29-Sep-11 18:48:05
Print Post

Re: Connecting Speedtouch 546v6 to tomato firmware with Sky

[re: Hellish] [link to this post]

do you know your Sky connection username and password (as opposed to something you use to log in to a web site) ? I thought they didn't give these out (from experience when trying to lend a guy a router when he was in a pickle with a dead sky router).

Can you get the speedtouch to connect in its "normal" routing mode ?

At http://yarwell.blogspot.com/2011/02/ipv6-part-1.html is some unfinished stuff I did which worked with a BT Wholesale service and PPPoE to a DD-WRT router. Might be something in there that helps.

But from what I saw recently Sky LLU isn't PPPoA, at least not recent exchanges, so I would double check the status of your existing working router.

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Are your kids pirates ? Limewire, Bearshare, Kazaa, BitTorrent, eMule are all tools of the trade.
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Thu 29-Sep-11 19:00:51
Print Post

put the tomato router on 10.0.0.1 gateway

- not sure what you mean, but Speedtouches are very attached to the 10.0.0.x range and I would consider using something else at least until it was working.

From memory at least some of them retain the 10. address as a secondary when configured to a different LAN subnet

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Are your kids pirates ? Limewire, Bearshare, Kazaa, BitTorrent, eMule are all tools of the trade.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Hellish
(regular) Thu 29-Sep-11 19:58:28
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

Ok I followed your advice and its still not working.

Yes I know my sky username and password

The ip address of my tomato router is 192.168.1.1, my speedtouch is 192.168.1.254

With the speedtouch I successfully connected using PPPoA mode. I tried connecting with PPPoE mode but it didnt work.

I then downloaded that script from zen

http://support.zen.co.uk/kb/Knowledgebase/SpeedTouch...

I selected bridge mode. I then went into my tomato settings and put in my sky username and password under PPPoE settings, and that doesnt work.

It seems that my connection cant connect over PPPoE is that correct? so that bridge mode will not work as my connection doesnt support PPPoE?

Edited by Hellish (Thu 29-Sep-11 20:36:19)

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Thu 29-Sep-11 20:05:07
Print Post

Sky uses
PPPoA
VPI / VCI 0 / 38
Encapsulation VC/MUX

______________________________________________________________________________. __________________
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 29-Sep-11 20:45:45
Print Post

BT Wholesale used to support a mixture of PPPoA and E, so it is feasible the Sky service may not like it.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Hellish
(regular) Thu 29-Sep-11 21:10:10
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
BT Wholesale used to support a mixture of PPPoA and E, so it is feasible the Sky service may not like it.

Andrew, would my only option to get this working is by getting something like this

http://www.amazon.co.uk/DrayTek-Vigor-120-external-E...

as that would provide a PPPoE connection to my tomoato router (Asus RT-N16)

Its really a shame I cant get this speedtouch 546v6 working as it has a broadcom chipset in it and would match my sky connection perfectly giving me higher sync speed.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Thu 29-Sep-11 21:23:40
Print Post

You could use half-bridge mode on the speedtouch

______________________________________________________________________________. __________________
Standard User Hellish
(regular) Thu 29-Sep-11 21:34:01
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

My connection has dynamic ip and not static. I think I read somewhere this is a problem for half bridge mode.

Here is the reason against half bridge mode.

"The reasons against half-bridge.
1. Unless you have a static ip from your ISP the router will not update the IP when it is changed until the next dhcp renewal. "
Due to this most half-bridge modems use extremely short dhcp lease. It works but isn't recommended.
2. Some modems can now enable half-bridge as a true DMZ whilst still running as a router. Speedtouch 536, 585 etc do this as do new 2wire BP hand out. It was very buggy.
3. Some linux based routers and pc's cannot handle the IP address and gateway in different subnets. You can get around it but not always. "
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Thu 29-Sep-11 21:37:23
Print Post

You'll probably be better off on another ISP as Sky really want you to use their router.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to