Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User swayzak
(learned) Mon 03-Oct-11 09:01:26
Print Post

New to Homeplug - would this work ?

[link to this post]

Following my recent adventures in broadband problems, I'm thinking of the easiest way of improving the wireless coverage in my house, and also allowing wired connection into the network (e.g. from Freeview HD box for iPlayer etc.)

I was thinking of this:

Devolo 1409 dLAN 200 AV Wireless-N Starter Kit

Would this work as a decent WAP to improve coverage (the router is now in the corner of the house, in converted built-in garage ?

How do this integrate with the current network I've been running from my O2 II modem/router ?

Do I have to run 2 separately named networks, or will the current network continue as usual but just extended in range ?

Do I have to turn off the wireless transmission from the O2 box to allow the Devolo wireless unit to become the hub ?

thanks
Standard User MHC
(legend) Mon 03-Oct-11 09:27:08
Print Post

Re: New to Homeplug - would this work ?

[re: swayzak] [link to this post]

Just need one network ... the remote 802.11 enabled plug will get its IP address from your existing hub.

You can leave the O2 box wireless turned on and you will see two separate WAPs you can connect to.

You may need to select the wireless channels on both to maximise the usability if there is any overlap. You can also choose to use same of different SSIDs and same or different Security codes ...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User swayzak
(learned) Mon 03-Oct-11 10:31:36
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MHC:
Just need one network ... the remote 802.11 enabled plug will get its IP address from your existing hub.

You can leave the O2 box wireless turned on and you will see two separate WAPs you can connect to.

You may need to select the wireless channels on both to maximise the usability if there is any overlap. You can also choose to use same of different SSIDs and same or different Security codes ...

Thanks

If I give the Homeplug network the same SSID, channel & WPA security code as current O2 router network, will I have to manually change over all wireless devices closer to the Homeplug WPA to the Homeplug network, even though all details are the same ?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User shtu
(experienced) Mon 03-Oct-11 14:50:48
Print Post

[re: swayzak] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by swayzak:
If I give the Homeplug network the same SSID, channel & WPA security code as current O2 router network, will I have to manually change over all wireless devices closer to the Homeplug WPA to the Homeplug network, even though all details are the same ?

No. I do the same at home between two WAPS and it works perfectly to allow roaming between the two.

You might want to consider placing each on a different channel. See how it goes.
  Print Thread

Jump to