Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Supermags
(member) Tue 04-Oct-11 09:49:43
Print Post

Large house - Wifi Setup

[link to this post]

Hi,

I'm about to move to a large detached house - around 4000 sqft and with a big garden. This is too large most likely even for my precious linksys e4200 router, so i'm planning on installing several access points to cover the full house.

Can I have the same network SSID/channel for the full house, or do i need to set up different wireless networks?

Any experience with using homeplugs instead of Cat5 to connect the Access points to the router? Is the difference noticeable between using homeplug 200s vs 500s, when using wifi (wifi is most likely slower than 200mbit anyway...)

Any other suggestions/proposals for how to wire this house correctly?!

Best
Magnus
Standard User mixt
(experienced) Tue 04-Oct-11 10:01:55
Print Post

Re: Large house - Wifi Setup

[re: Supermags] [link to this post]

I've had a bad experience with home plugs myself (others say otherwise), so I personally won't touch them. I've found them slow, and unreliable.

I while back, I bought 3 of these units:

http://www.dabs.com/products/edimax-wireless-n--802-...

They've come down in price from when I bought them - now just over £30 a pop. They are pretty awesome, and once configured correctly, I've experienced nearly no issues with them.

I run 1 as an access point in my small flat at only 10% power - this covers the entire flat. The other 2 I run in a dedicated bridge mode, also running at 10% power. All configured to wireless N, and I see about 5Mb/second when transfering files around.

I would imagine in your case, if you have thick walls, or need a further range out to the garden, just configure them at 100% power and you'll be on your way to solving your problems. But don't take my word for it, read the reviews on the DABs site - one chap there I think had the task of wifi-ing a large theatre, and these units did it cheaply, and with maximum coverage.

Now on <aaisp.net>
Previous ISPs: Virgin Media (50Mb/Cable), Be* Un Limited, ZeN
Is Linux routing your internet connection?
Need to make BIND geo-aware?
Standard User Freedom86
(newbie) Tue 04-Oct-11 10:06:06
Print Post

I would avoid homeplugs at all costs! I don't like them and they are *possibly* going to be outlawed at some point in the future. Plus they are damned expensive in comparison to cable.

RE: the wifi ap. I would recommend getting all the same manufacturers kit and using wds. The Draytek AP are good for this but you must follow the instructions exactly...

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 04-Oct-11 11:31:08
Print Post

[re: Freedom86] [link to this post]

So... it seems that my current linksys e4200 router does not support WDS or bridging... so i will either need to replace, or use cat5 and access points.

Any recommendations for good quality access points? Can i keep my router on a separate network, and set up another WDS mesh network with say 3 APs of which only one is physically connected to the network through cat5?

That could be a solution that works for me - i would ensure that my gaming computer and TV had high speed access directly through the main router (e4200), and it'd be fine for the rest of the WDS wifii network to be a bit slower (due to bandwidth loss when repeating).
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 04-Oct-11 11:31:23
Print Post

[re: Freedom86] [link to this post]

draytek products are awesome if you can configure them properly.
i personally use a vigor2820n on my virginmedia connection in placement of the pos that was the dlink dir615 d4 with vm firmware. The internet is now rock solid, i have no dchp issues and the wireless range alone is almost double the dlinks lol.

as for powerline adapters. i have no horror stories to tell, the linksys (cisco) ones i used to send the internet into my loft worked flawlessly from day one and still are
Standard User MHC
(legend) Tue 04-Oct-11 11:32:58
Print Post

Avoid the plugs ... there will not be the bandwidth to support several WAPs working at full speed.

You can use your router but get a small switch to work with it.

For the WAPs look for ones that support WDS and also Power Over Ethernet - that will mean no power adapters to worry about or unsightly cables on walls. The switch may support POE or there are Power injectors available.

edit to add:

Have a look at the Draytek AP800

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit

Edited by MHC (Tue 04-Oct-11 11:36:42)

Standard User MHC
(legend) Tue 04-Oct-11 11:34:38
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

Avoid using repeaters if you can ... Wire cat5e out to each WAP

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User micksharpe
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 04-Oct-11 11:51:57
Print Post

Use the same SSID throughout but allocate each WAP it's own wireless channel (unless any pair on the same channel are far enough apart not to interfere with each other.)

__________________________________________________________________________________________
"You'll be skint, battered, exploited, lied to, cheated and despised. But at least you'll no' be bored." -- Rab C Nesbitt
It Ought to be Easy | Greasemonkey scripts
Standard User Sandgrounder
(knowledge is power) Tue 04-Oct-11 12:41:10
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
draytek products are awesome if you can configure them properly
Agreed smile

Line One:- Zen - DrayTek Vigor 2600VG
Line Two:- EntaNet (Aquiss) - DrayTek Vigor 2600
Standard User Sandgrounder
(knowledge is power) Tue 04-Oct-11 12:45:18
Print Post

The homeplugs are OK if you just use two matching units.

But with three or more, the performance goes right off.

Line One:- Zen - DrayTek Vigor 2600VG
Line Two:- EntaNet (Aquiss) - DrayTek Vigor 2600
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to