Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User SCA999
(newbie) Thu 06-Oct-11 11:38:18
Print Post

Powerline between flats?

[link to this post]

I live in what most would consider a "bed sit" and am currently sharing wireless internet with my friend who lives downstairs. The signal is intermittent and we have tried everything sensible to increase the signal quality.

The building is old, and uses coin meters for each occupant for electricity. I understand that powerline technology could transmit the signal throughout the entire building, and that it supports encryption and network names to limit rogue access.

Is this correct, or will powerline not route past the meters?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 06-Oct-11 11:40:44
Print Post

Re: Powerline between flats?

[re: SCA999] [link to this post]

Depends on meter type, some it goes past, some it does not.

Only way to know is try it.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User ukhardy07
(committed) Thu 06-Oct-11 12:07:19
Print Post

Best to borrow a set before falking out the cash

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Daniel_g
(newbie) Thu 06-Oct-11 12:15:47
Print Post

I thought it was not surposed to go through electricity meters so to prove the point and sort of the same set up (flats and 4 in the block and granny downstairs), so set computer up on the network cable supplied in the set of 2 home plugs and this downstairs on a mains socket. Other homeplug on ringmain socket in my flat upstairs and fed by the output 4 on back of the wirleless router (BT homehub). Did work and going through 2 old skool spinny black early 1990's meters. We have the same big incoming cable and it splits to the 2 big 100A blowoout fuses and me gets the feed through her ceiling and up through my cupboard floor where fusebox and meter is.

So I think if same power cable feeding both properties ( so different cable same phase at local substaion down the road somewhere, morelickly same cable being 1 aboove the other as we are) then should go if old skool spinning meters, not the nice digital ones.
Just how our experiment went.
Don't know about newer all singing dancing digital LCD types.

Try like been said if can borrow some.
Standard User SCA999
(newbie) Thu 06-Oct-11 12:27:55
Print Post

[re: Daniel_g] [link to this post]

Theres no-one to borrow off so I've just bought some to find out. My building uses the old skool black meters so I'm hoping this is the solution!

Thanks all for the advice smile
  Print Thread

Jump to