Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User BigB32
(member) Sun 09-Oct-11 11:57:30
Print Post

A home network

[link to this post]

Hello everyone I was wondering if you can help me I would like to set up my pc and laptop to be able to see the same files folders e-mails etc. on each machine ,I have a desktop running windows 7 and the laptop is running vista.
The desktop is hard wired to a Billion7800n router laptop connects wirelessly to the router no problems with that but what do I need to do to both machines to achieve my aim .
Thank you for your time

BigB32
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 10-Oct-11 11:03:25
Print Post

Re: A home network

[re: BigB32] [link to this post]

Windows File Sharing will let you browse files on the different machines, many FAQ's on getting this to work on the net.

Sharing emails - webmail no issue, since everyone can access webmail. But if say using Outlook Express there is no mechanism for sharing them over the LAN.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User BigB32
(member) Mon 10-Oct-11 16:57:15
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Mr Saffron thank you for your reply have taken on board your comments thanks for responding
BigB32

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User pmb00cs
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 10-Oct-11 20:14:00
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

If sharing emails across multiple systems using a mail client like outlook or windows live mail (the replacement to outlook express included with windows vista, windows 7 having no built in mail client) you would be advised to use imap if your mail provider allows it. But remember this stores the mails on the server so if you have mailbox size limits they can fill up quite quickly.

happily chugging along on plusnet and Virginmedia (yes I am greedy)
My web server
Standard User Deadbeat
(knowledge is power) Tue 11-Oct-11 22:06:29
Print Post

[re: pmb00cs] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by pmb00cs:
...... windows 7 having no built in mail client).....

Win7 still has Windows Mail built in but it's hidden. It can be resurrected fairly easily though.
Standard User pmb00cs
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 12-Oct-11 19:14:58
Print Post

[re: Deadbeat] [link to this post]

Yes, for a computer expert, but the official line from Microsoft, and as far as a novice is concerned, Windows 7 has no built in mail client.

happily chugging along on plusnet and Virginmedia (yes I am greedy)
My web server
Standard User mistral
(experienced) Sun 06-Nov-11 19:54:18
Print Post

[re: pmb00cs] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by pmb00cs:
If sharing emails across multiple systems using a mail client like outlook or windows live mail (the replacement to outlook express included with windows vista, windows 7 having no built in mail client) you would be advised to use imap if your mail provider allows it. But remember this stores the mails on the server so if you have mailbox size limits they can fill up quite quickly.

The other method of sharing email's would be to use an imap server or some other alternative like it. There are some providers out there that will provide it eg gmail

Print Thread

Jump to