Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User flak999
(newbie) Sun 20-Nov-11 13:17:07
Print Post

New router needed!

[link to this post]

Hi all, I am in the market for a new wired router. i am currently using a Thomson ST546 I am on 21CN and have been advised to get a new router as my old Thomson does not deal with ADSL 2+ very well.

What would you all advise? I have been pointed towards a Technicolour TG582N or a netgear DGN1000.

Your advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks.
Standard User iand
(experienced) Sun 20-Nov-11 17:41:37
Print Post

Re: New router needed!

[re: flak999] [link to this post]

I would just continue to use the same router you have, if you are not seeing any problems. If you think you are then go for something cheap and cheerfully, as almost any modern router will run this ADSL2+ service with no problem at all. I used to run a TP LINK router, which can be gad for £20-£30 from ebay before I moved to sky. I would also check the internal wiring, ensuring the 'ring wire' is disconnected to gain a better line. (goggle is your friend)

IanD
Standard User joconnell
(experienced) Sun 20-Nov-11 23:35:33
Print Post

[re: iand] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by iand:
(goggle is your friend)

And a spell-checker is your friend wink

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 21-Nov-11 00:00:17
Print Post

[re: iand] [link to this post]

No, goggle is my friend grin

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User shrimper1
(member) Mon 21-Nov-11 02:55:27
Print Post

In reply to a post by flak999:
Hi all, I am in the market for a new wired router. i am currently using a Thomson ST546 I am on 21CN and have been advised to get a new router as my old Thomson does not deal with ADSL 2+ very well.

What would you all advise? I have been pointed towards a Technicolour TG582N or a netgear DGN1000.

Thanks.

I have a new Thomson (White) Livebox, a SIEMENS and a D-Link stacking up in my spare room ............ all work. Your welcome to have one, if it can be arranged? I'm currently using a new Netgear @ the mo.
Standard User flak999
(newbie) Mon 21-Nov-11 12:16:43
Print Post

[re: shrimper1] [link to this post]

Thank you very much for your kind offer, but I think I would prefer to get a new up to date router specifically intended for use with ADSL2+

I have looked at the billion bipac 7800 and this seems to be a well thought of router, has anybody else any thoughts on this?
Standard User E7er
(knowledge is power) Mon 21-Nov-11 13:37:50
Print Post

Thanks.
Hi, I reckon I would go for the Technicolor TG582N wireless Router. The spec looks good it is IPv6 ready has support of multiple SSIDs and ADSL2+ and Technicolour bought up Thomson.

http://www.speedguide.net/routers/technicolor-thomso...

Zen supply the Technicolor TG582N for their customers http://www.zen.co.uk/business/broadband/business-bro...

Orange WBC 20 Mbps. Sync 11864 kbps Downstream, 1189 kbps Upstream.
Netgear DGN1000 ADSL2+ wireless N 150 Router supplied by Orange
BT Business Hub 2Wire 2700HGV v2 ADSL2+ Dual SSID wireless Router

Edited by E7er (Mon 21-Nov-11 15:48:31)

Standard User baby_frogmella
(committed) Mon 21-Nov-11 16:12:55
Print Post

Thank you very much for your kind offer, but I think I would prefer to get a new up to date router specifically intended for use with ADSL2+

I have looked at the billion bipac 7800 and this seems to be a well thought of router, has anybody else any thoughts on this?

Yep the Billion 7800 is the one to go for - arguably the best router on the market. I've got the 7800N version (wireless N) and use it on my ADSL2+ TalkTalk LLU line....rock solid, stays synced for months at a time. It uses a Broadcom 6358 chipset widely considered to be the best for stability/speeds. You can also lower your default downstream SNR using the Billion and even if you reboot the router it keeps the settings. Its not cheap but like with most things in life, you get what you pay for smile
http://www.expansys.com/billion-gigabit-dual-wan-ads...

Have a look at the Amazon reviews for the 7800N here - performance will be identical to the 7800:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/B002TOKGL8/r...

TalkTalk Plus LLU ADSL2+ 18015/1019 kbps
Pioneer Kuro 428XD ISF'd
iPhone 4S 16gb
ThinkPad X220
Standard User iand
(experienced) Mon 21-Nov-11 19:27:49
Print Post

[re: joconnell] [link to this post]

now I am getting paranoid as I used ieSpell before I sent it...... Need to get the pesky wrong spelling out of it list. smile

IanD
Standard User iand
(experienced) Mon 21-Nov-11 19:29:16
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

I am blaming it on the spell checker I use smile

IanD
  Print Thread

Jump to