Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User attercliffe
(newbie) Wed 23-Nov-11 15:05:52
Print Post

DG834G Auto force change of Dynamic IP

[link to this post]

I would ike to make DG834G force a chane of dynamic IP every hour. I can do this manually by clicking disconnect / reconnect on router connection status page. However I want the router do do this automatically, even thogh all connected PCs are turned off.

Has anyone with firmware knowledge managed to do this?

Or is there any router that will do this, at a reasonable price for a home user?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 23-Nov-11 15:11:13
Print Post

Re: DG834G Auto force change of Dynamic IP

[re: attercliffe] [link to this post]

If you automate this, then the problem being that any access that is ongoing at the time of the IP change will break. Very annoying if trying to grab a large file from somewhere.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User tommy45
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 23-Nov-11 15:42:12
Print Post

[re: attercliffe] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by attercliffe:
I would ike to make DG834G force a chane of dynamic IP every hour. I can do this manually by clicking disconnect / reconnect on router connection status page. However I want the router do do this automatically, even thogh all connected PCs are turned off.

Has anyone with firmware knowledge managed to do this?

Or is there any router that will do this, at a reasonable price for a home user?
I hope that for your sake that your connection isn't subject to DLM, cause if it is your sync will get lower and lower, as it will think there is a fault

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 23-Nov-11 16:07:07
Print Post

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

DLM (BT's anyway) should not trigger from a resync every hour, generally requires multiple resyncs in an hour.
Also some routers can re-authenticate without a full resync.

Even so there is some validity in what you say, as anyone looking at line history would assume some form of REIN

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User raven1968
(newbie) Fri 25-Nov-11 15:18:03
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Just out of curiosity - why would you need to change your IP on an hourly basis anyway?

Be aware also that your IP may not change, that would depend on the lease times that the ISP has set for the IP it's giving you. Virgin for example have very long lease times tied to the mac address of your router, so disconnecting and reconnecting will give you the same IP anyway.
  Print Thread

Jump to