Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User gunark
(newbie) Wed 23-Nov-11 18:05:26
Print Post

Homeplugs slowing down?

[link to this post]

A strange one. I live in a new house and have had fully working homeplugs before. I now have Devolo 200mbps mini ones that, on the face of it, seem fine. They have their own sockets, they are on separate floors but that had no affect on the old ones, and they are barely a few metres apart vertically. However, they slow down under download strain.

I have an Infinity connection that is around 25mbps and while downloads (in Leech for OSX) kick off fast, after about 50 mb has been downloaded it then drops and drops to around 300k.

The Devolo software shows them connecting to each other at 148-184mbps.

Weird thing is though, via wireless N the speed is maintained at around 18mbps, so it's not BT, I don't think it's the hub either so it leads me to the plugs.

Any ideas? Would a packet size change help as it appears that it just gets overwhelmed and can't cope. Or shall I just take them back to PC World?
Standard User TheManStan
(newbie) Wed 23-Nov-11 18:22:53
Print Post

Re: Homeplugs slowing down?

[re: gunark] [link to this post]

A good test would be transferring a few large files between computers.

The file transfer would test the homelug network.

I have no problems using PS3 media player to watch films on my telly from DVDs on my desktop. That's using 7dayshop branded 200 Mbps homeplug thingies and large file transfers aren't a problem either.
Standard User gunark
(newbie) Wed 23-Nov-11 18:31:16
Print Post

[re: TheManStan] [link to this post]

Thanks for the reply. Sadly I only have the one computer but notably the transfer between Serviio and my PS3 is notably better with the homeplugs (HD water stutters on wireless, is smooth on homeplugs). Weird!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Sandgrounder
(knowledge is power) Wed 23-Nov-11 23:19:10
Print Post

How many do you have connected?

They start to slow down when more than two are in use.

Line One:- Zen - DrayTek Vigor 2600VG
Line Two:- EntaNet (Aquiss) - DrayTek Vigor 2600
Standard User shtu
(experienced) Thu 24-Nov-11 10:46:24
Print Post

In reply to a post by gunark:
A strange one. I live in a new house and have had fully working homeplugs before. I now have Devolo 200mbps mini ones that, on the face of it, seem fine. They have their own sockets, they are on separate floors but that had no affect on the old ones, and they are barely a few metres apart vertically. However, they slow down under download strain.

Any other items that would inject noise onto the mains? I'm thinking about certain plug-in mouse repellers especially, some of these inject a signal onto the mains wiring.

The other thing is how are you measuring the transfer speed? The start-off-fast-then-slow-down sounds like the inaccurate Windows time estimate...
Standard User gunark
(newbie) Thu 24-Nov-11 10:50:27
Print Post

[re: Sandgrounder] [link to this post]

Hiya ,

Just the two
Standard User gunark
(newbie) Thu 24-Nov-11 10:56:28
Print Post

[re: shtu] [link to this post]

Hiya,
Nope nothing of that ilk at all. I measure it in several ways, downloading Ubuntu through Leech for OSX and Speedtests front Sweetest.com and here. Over wifi the download is consistent but with the plugs it hits a top speed then quickly drops to 300-600k in 10 seconds or so. As i say,its like it can't handle it and slows down .
Standard User NilSatisOptimum
(member) Thu 24-Nov-11 12:08:08
Print Post

Not to be discourteous however, the home wiring of your new build could be responsible; there is minimum standard and onwards. Could be a case of trial and error with different homeplugs! If you running through one circut and no UPS you should be OKish.

Mortgage Advisor 2000-2008
Green Energy Advisor 2008-2010
Charity Health Care Provider Advisor 2010-
I'm alright Jack....
Standard User gunark
(newbie) Fri 25-Nov-11 10:01:12
Print Post

[re: NilSatisOptimum] [link to this post]

Hi,
No I get what you mean. It's odd though as the previous ones had no issues at all, same plug sockets used too. I might just return them, see if a newer pair makes any difference...

Thanks!
Standard User OCdragon
(experienced) Fri 25-Nov-11 10:31:06
Print Post

What sort of quoted "speed", i.e. 85Mbs, 200Mbps or even higher, is your OLD Homeplugs which are NOT sensitive to your new home wirings? Bearing in mind that the higher the quoted speed-grade of your new Homeplugs, the more sensitive would be their tolerances to your internal power wirings. It is always beneficial to directly plug your Homeplugs to their wall-sockets instead of via a Extension-Pad.

Intel E4300 OC with 2GB RAMs,Speedtouch 585 Modem/Router and Windows XP Pro

O2 Standard ADSL2+ Broadband!
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to