Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Mattlehat
(newbie) Mon 28-Nov-11 09:33:44
Print Post

Router range questions

[link to this post]

Hi

I have recently moved house and have been having trouble streaming video to an ipad in a couple of our rooms, despite the router not being that far away from the user - (separated by one floor verticaly and one room horizontaly - about 30 feet in all). As the router was quite old anyway I decided to upgrade it this weekend to a NETGEAR DGND3300 N300 - old router was a G router.

I was expecting this router to have a much stronger signal but it still only at half strength most of the time and sometimes doesn't pick it up at all.

The router operates on 2 frequencies and has 2 different broadcast names and also has 4 different operating modes (such as Performance mode, Neighbour Friendly Mode, Default Mode and Legacy Mode) This has totally confused me and the user manual doesn't really explain what they are.

Can anyone help explain what mode I should be using and why I'm not getting a strong signal even with a RangeMax N router?

Many thanks

M
Standard User E7er
(knowledge is power) Mon 28-Nov-11 11:07:45
Print Post

Re: Router range questions

[re: Mattlehat] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Mattlehat:
Hi

I have recently moved house and have been having trouble streaming video to an ipad in a couple of our rooms, despite the router not being that far away from the user - (separated by one floor verticaly and one room horizontaly - about 30 feet in all). As the router was quite old anyway I decided to upgrade it this weekend to a NETGEAR DGND3300 N300 - old router was a G router.

I was expecting this router to have a much stronger signal but it still only at half strength most of the time and sometimes doesn't pick it up at all.

The router operates on 2 frequencies and has 2 different broadcast names and also has 4 different operating modes (such as Performance mode, Neighbour Friendly Mode, Default Mode and Legacy Mode) This has totally confused me and the user manual doesn't really explain what they are.

Can anyone help explain what mode I should be using and why I'm not getting a strong signal even with a RangeMax N router?

Many thanks

M
Hi, if you live in a modern house it could have foil backed plasterboard walls that will degrade the wireless signal. Your best move then would be to install Delovo home plugs.

http://www.devolo.co.uk/

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Devolo-1409-dLAN-Wireless-N-...

Orange WBC 20 Mbps. Sync 11864 kbps Downstream, 1189 kbps Upstream.
Netgear DGN1000 ADSL2+ wireless N 150 Router supplied by Orange
BT Business Hub 2Wire 2700HGV v2 ADSL2+ Dual SSID wireless Router
Standard User Jon_uk123
(newbie) Wed 30-Nov-11 14:52:43
Print Post

Re: Router range questions

[re: E7er] [link to this post]

I would also advise on homeplugs. Either that, or try getting high gain, onmi directional antennas for your wireless equipment. I had a Linksys WRT54G running Tomato with the standard aerials, getting medium to low signal outside/upstairs. I put on a pair of high gain antennas and this went to excellent. All for little cost smile

Hope this helps

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread

Jump to