Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User aldredd
(learned) Wed 30-Nov-11 16:27:21
Print Post

Pointing a Domain to my IP address

[link to this post]

hello!

I've been having some fun recently trying to setup my home pc as a SSH server / proxy for when I'm out & about & overseas, and also allow remote desktop etc. After lots of trial & error, I'm getting there now, and most bits are working ok.

What I would really like to do though, is register a domain and have it point to my home PC. I have a static IP, so no problem in that respect - I just don't quite know how to go about it.

From what I've read, the 2 main options are hosting my own DNS server - which requires 2 static IP addresses, and a lot of setting up, so don't fancy that - or basically use a fancy version of dyndns.com which uses your own domain - but that seems to be tailored towards people without a static IP - which I do have - and would require install their server software to communicate back to them my IP address periodically.

Now - I think my ISP may be able to help, as I'm with AAISP (so my quesiton may be better in their sub-forum, or askign them directly) - but I'm not realy sure what I'm asking for. Someone to do the DNS hosting which lets me use my IP as the primary DNS and provide the secondary DNS, I guess? Is that such a service.

Also - is there such as way to have a sub-domain and associate it with a specific Port? I could then for example use desktop.mydomain.com for remote destop, rather than 11.22.33.44:8080 each time blush) - and have proxy.mydomain.com for the ssh server etc.

Thanks!

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User micksharpe
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 30-Nov-11 17:03:56
Print Post

Re: Pointing a Domain to my IP address

[re: aldredd] [link to this post]

Domain name registrars will either have their own DNS servers or they will allow you to point your domain names to DNS servers of your choice, or possibly both. Since you will be hosting your own web applications, you will probably want a registrar that has its own DNS servers.

As for sub-domains, you will need to configure them in your own web server, e.g. Apache (as virtual hosts).

__________________________________________________________________________________________
Our democracy is but a name. We vote? What does that mean?
It means that we choose between two bodies of real, though not avowed, autocrats.
We choose between Tweedledum and Tweedledee.
Helen Keller
It Ought to be Easy | Greasemonkey scripts

Edited by micksharpe (Wed 30-Nov-11 17:04:57)

Standard User GeeTee
(committed) Wed 30-Nov-11 17:04:11
Print Post

Most registrars will provide a free (or rather included in the price) DNS service with your domain. Usually with the two (or more) nameservers in logically and geographically diverse locations.

All you need to do is add an A record (and possibly a PTR record) to point whatever hostname you like to your DSL IP address.

DNS has no ability to reference port numbers.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User micksharpe
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 30-Nov-11 17:11:12
Print Post

[re: micksharpe] [link to this post]

P.S. Since you have a fixed IP address, you do not need your own domain name. You can just point your browser to your IP address and port number, e.g. 1.2.3.4:8080.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
It means that we choose between two bodies of real, though not avowed, autocrats.
Helen Keller
Standard User micksharpe
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 30-Nov-11 17:16:24
Print Post

[re: micksharpe] [link to this post]

P.P.S. It looks like your ISP can provide everything that you need.

Helen Keller
Standard User Sandgrounder
(knowledge is power) Wed 30-Nov-11 19:33:53
Print Post

Sign up for a free account with a good domain registrar (say Heart Internet) and all should become clear.

Use their Name Servers and just set a sub-domain A Record to point to your IP address.
You will need to let your router do the port handling as that is nothing to do with DNS.

Line One:- Zen - DrayTek Vigor 2600VG
Line Two:- EntaNet (Aquiss) - DrayTek Vigor 2600
Standard User Matchstick
(member) Wed 30-Nov-11 19:58:09
Print Post

A&A still include a free .uk domain with accounts so I'd give sales a quick email and see if they can set one up for you.
http://www.aaisp.net.uk/broadband-freedomain.html

Once that's done you can set up everything, like pointing the domain at your IP address, via the online control panel

The wages of sin are death, but the hours are good and the perks are fantastic
Standard User aldredd
(learned) Wed 30-Nov-11 20:09:08
Print Post

Wicked - thanks everyone for all the responses. Sounds like dropping an email to A&A is my first port of call - put should be doable!

ps Mickshare - yes, you're quite right I can (and currently do) point directly to my IP:Port, but would just like to have a domain I can type in rather than remember my IP!

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User prlzx
(committed) Thu 01-Dec-11 00:34:32
Print Post

Register a .me.uk domain if you can. It's intended for people rather than companies.

Great if your current ISP includes one, and if not there are plenty of other providers who will do domain registration with a control panel to setup DNS entries ('A' record is what you'll need). Some include a certain number of free subdomains too.

For example 1&1 domain prices.

Although a domain name is only associated with an IP address rather than IP plus port number, if you are hosting a website on something other than the default port 80, some providers will offer the option to redirect or you can do the redirect when someone arrives on your own server.

For websites, if your chosen provider includes subdomains (all will point at the same IP) or allows wildcard subdomains (*.yourdomain.me.uk all point to the same place automatically) you can do name-based vhosts on your server rather than different port numbers.

For other stuff if you are not using the default service port number
(Remote desktop RDP=3389, VNC=5900, SSH=22, SOCKS Proxy=1080)
you'll still have to specify it in the client even if you have a domain name. This does not need different domain names as your router should be able to forward port numbers to whichever machine is hosting that service.

prompt $P - Invalid drive specification - Abort, Retry, Fail? $G
prlzx on n e w n e t: ADSL2+ / 21CN at 2.5Mbps / 800k

Edited by prlzx (Thu 01-Dec-11 00:46:09)

Standard User Sandgrounder
(knowledge is power) Thu 01-Dec-11 11:48:16
Print Post

[re: prlzx] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by prlzx:
For websites, if your chosen provider includes subdomains (all will point at the same IP) .......
A good registrar will allow sub-domain A records to point to different IP addresses.

e.g.
bbc.co.uk - 212.58.241.131
www.bbc.co.uk - 212.58.246.91
news.bbc.co.uk - 212.58.244.57

Line One:- Zen - DrayTek Vigor 2600VG
Line Two:- EntaNet (Aquiss) - DrayTek Vigor 2600
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to