Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User HySpeedBroadband
(newbie) Mon 05-Dec-11 09:54:00
Print Post

Is my router the problem?

[link to this post]

Hi,

I have a d link router DIR615, supplied by Virgin Media, as is the modem

My main PC is cabled, the rest of the network is wireless.

I'm getting ping speeds of 29ms, DL speed 18.52 (on a 20mb connection), Up speed .64. (Just done it, at this time of evening, and it's been like this all day. (done last night...copied onto here for help now)

My PC stays connected, my laptop (if on) stays connected, a laptop in room directly above router stays on.

BUT, (and tbh I don't know completely how long this has been going on, but certainly a good month now) the PS3 just cannot stay connected, even on the main dashboard, yet the signal strength is 100%.

The error code seems to be 8002AD23

Interestingly, we ran a short experiment where the cabled PC (and all other devices) were switched off and just the PS3 was on. Game played out fine (a game on FIFA12 + a bit of DC Universe). I then booted up cabled PC, all fine and then logged into an online PC game (FW), still fine.

Why should it seem to work turning on this way round?

I have called virgin media support 3 times in last 10 days. They tweaked the router settings a bit but clearly it hasn't helped. They don't support PS3 (surprise suprise)

Any ideas please? I'm fed up with being asked to "sort it out"

Cheers!

HySpeed Broadband can deliver a satellite broadband service to anywhere in the UK regardless of area.

Twitter: HySpeedBB
Standard User micksharpe
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 05-Dec-11 14:12:57
Print Post

Re: Is my router the problem?

[re: HySpeedBroadband] [link to this post]

A quick google shows that this is a common problem with a host of different 'solutions', so probably many causes. I know nothing about gaming consoles or your router but...

Fisrt of all, make sure that both the PS3 and the router have up-to-date firmware.

It sounds as if the PS3 is reconnecting to the router and the router is running out of DHCP addresses. Does it use DHCP (dynamic IP addresses)? Can you configure static IP addressing on the router and PS3 box? You would only need one static address on the wireless section of the router for the PS3. Also, all wired devices should use static IP addresses imo, although others might disagree. I can't tell you how to configure static IP addressing, unfortunately.

If you can try a different router, this would be useful. Does your kid's PS3 work OK at a friends house?

If a new router is needed, you might be able to 'borrow' one from a local PC shop.

A google search on the error code will bring up a host of forum posts, but no definitive solution unfortunately. If your router is not the cause of the problems, you may need to keep asking on PS3 forums until you find an answer.

That's about all that I can suggest. Sorry if this is a bit garbled.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
Our democracy is but a name. We vote? What does that mean?
It means that we choose between two bodies of real, though not avowed, autocrats.
We choose between Tweedledum and Tweedledee.
Helen Keller
It Ought to be Easy | Greasemonkey scripts
  Print Thread

Jump to