Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 08-Dec-11 11:21:23
Print Post

Weird issue with a wireless device & network - please help !

[link to this post]

I've been having REAL problems with my Logitech Squeezebox Controller device (it's a hardware handheld remote controller for Squeezebox music players).

It persistently fails to connect to my wireless network - either saying "DHCP address cannot be found" or "no valid IP address".

The wireless music system operates either via internet (MySqueezebox.com) or a local music server (my netbook running Logitech Media Server- LMS). Using the former means that the Controller (and it's accompanying players- the Receiver, 2 x Booms) can be used to access music etc. without having to turn on local server.

The Controller's Diagnostics screen gives following info:

Check Network = "No valid IP"

Wireless info = "nil" for IP Gateway (all other entries are present)

Server info gives:

Mysb.com DNS failed
Ping - can't ping
TCP port 3483 cannot connect
TCP port 9000 cannot connect
mysb.com registration -

Squeezebox Server 192.168.1.78
Library name - Netbook library
Ping - can't ping
TCP 3483 OK
TCP port 9000 OK

So something very strange is going on.

All other wireless devices (netbooks & PCs, 2 SqueezeBooms (more Squeezebox players - bit like small ghetto blasters) etc. work fine.

The Controller displays a red wireless icon (meaning it's not connected properly to network) - yet it still appears to be able to control music playback etc. from the local server on my netbook !!

The Controller briefly gets a "static" IP address according to router (which I don't understand as the DHCP server is enabled - it should say Assigned by DHCP) - then it says the device is inactive & IP is 0.0.0.0

However last night, after many weeks of this, the Controller finally connected to the network (white wireless icon). I don't know exactly what I did to enable this - just another "connect to network" attempt.

So I quickly looked at router page for this device (as SuperUser) & it had a valid IP address, assigned by DHCP. I then checked the "always use this IP address" to make it static (the lease time changed to infinite), as I thought this might "capture" a stable, working setup for the Controller !

Tonight I'm going to try it again & see if it can connect.

It would be great if someone on here could explain what might be going on here as Logitech support has failed & O2 support were dreadful.

thanks
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 08-Dec-11 14:36:43
Print Post

Re: Weird issue with a wireless device & network - please he

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

Can you manually set the IP address on the device, i.e. set one that is in the routers NAT range, but outside the DHCP range, remembering to set DNS and gateway too

Got a Vodafone sure signal and its DHCP handling is abysmal, but cannot set a static in the one I have.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User swayzak
(learned) Thu 08-Dec-11 15:15:44
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Can you manually set the IP address on the device, i.e. set one that is in the routers NAT range, but outside the DHCP range, remembering to set DNS and gateway too

Got a Vodafone sure signal and its DHCP handling is abysmal, but cannot set a static in the one I have.

Yes I think you can - this is given as an option after the Controller failed to connect to network. I didn't select it as I was unsure of all the settings (submask etc.)

However I've now noted them all down (as they were listed after successful connnection last night) should I need to try this.

Another option the Controller gives after failing to connect is "Self-assign IP address". When I've selected this in the past, the Controller immediately says "connected to network" (even though the red icon is still there) !! Does this have any significance ?

Did I do the sensible thing in selecting "always use this IP address" once it finally seemed to connect to network properly ? Or is this unlikely to make a difference ... ?

I should add that this Controller has worked almost flawlessly for 3 years before all of this.

The only recent changes have been a new O2 II router (whilst troubleshooting a previous poor broadband/internet connection issue) and the Devolo plug.

Edited by swayzak (Thu 08-Dec-11 15:21:35)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 10-Dec-11 09:47:28
Print Post

[re: swayzak] [link to this post]

New router and so slightly different DHCP handling, not all devices work well together sometimes.

Reusing the same IP address if it does the DHCP calls correctly should be OK, but when the device switches on, unless the address has been reserved in the router it may have been used by another device.

Manually entering the numbers is a good idea - HINT

If the number is say 192.168.1.4

Then change the four to a much number eg. 150
This will avoid the DHCP in the router probably trying to hand the address out to another device.

Another option is to look at the o2 router web interface, and see if there is an option to reserve an IP address for a device. It is a fairly common setting under the LAN menus

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
  Print Thread

Jump to