Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User tech_art_skills
(newbie) Wed 14-Dec-11 00:49:03
Print Post

Buffalo WCR-GN to provide simple secure wireless and wired

[link to this post]

I'm trying to configure the Buffalo WCR-GN router to provide wireless and wired access to the internet. It is connected to a Virgin cable modem via standard ethernet.

The WCR-GN itself is not a modem but the manual and web based setup mentions various ADSL-like setups PPPOE etc. But all the ports are ethernet and not DSL line, and it is being attached to a cable modem which is ALREADY setup to connect to the internet. Why does the manual/setup insist on setting up ADSL like settings when all I want is for it to talk to the existing modem it is connected to, in order to share the connection via the WCR-GN's wired ports and wireless?
Standard User E7er
(knowledge is power) Wed 14-Dec-11 10:43:36
Print Post

Re: Buffalo WCR-GN to provide simple secure wireless and wir

[re: tech_art_skills] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by tech_art_skills:
I'm trying to configure the Buffalo WCR-GN router to provide wireless and wired access to the internet. It is connected to a Virgin cable modem via standard ethernet.

The WCR-GN itself is not a modem but the manual and web based setup mentions various ADSL-like setups PPPOE etc. But all the ports are ethernet and not DSL line, and it is being attached to a cable modem which is ALREADY setup to connect to the internet. Why does the manual/setup insist on setting up ADSL like settings when all I want is for it to talk to the existing modem it is connected to, in order to share the connection via the WCR-GN's wired ports and wireless?
Hi, maybe setup instructions for the Buffalo WCR-GN broadband router in the link will help...

http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/wireless-routers/1281...

Orange WBC 20 Mbps. Sync 11864 kbps Downstream, 1189 kbps Upstream.
Netgear DGN1000 ADSL2+ wireless N 150 Router supplied by Orange
BT Business Hub 2Wire 2700HGV v2 ADSL2+ Dual SSID wireless Router
Standard User tech_art_skills
(newbie) Wed 14-Dec-11 11:16:16
Print Post

[re: E7er] [link to this post]

Thanks. I am sure that I was plugging in the ethernet cable incorrectly - the ethernet cable to go between the virgin cable modem ethernet port and the buffalo wcr-gn should go in the BLUE input port of the buffalo. I was not

'phoned buffalo tech support on 08453511005. They confirm my thinking to use the blue port - well the manual says this! smile The only other setting I need is DHCP. I should not need to supply any further settings like the ADSL like settings.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User E7er
(knowledge is power) Wed 14-Dec-11 15:07:52
Print Post

[re: tech_art_skills] [link to this post]

Hi, As you say! with a cable broadband router you connect the WAN (Wide Area Network) port to the Virgin cable modem.

It looks from the reviews the Buffalo-WCR-GN router is not the easiest router to set-up, have you used the CD and Wizard to help you?

http://www.speedguide.net/routers/buffalo-wcr-gn-wir...

http://www.buffalo-asia.com/cgi-bin/products/detail....

You set the DHCP so you have addresses reserved for static IP addresses, set-up your router for 192.168.11.1 to 192.168.11.25 as Static IP addresses, thenů

First DHCP Address: 192.168.11. 26
Last DHCP Address: 192.168.11.250

And then you have 192.168.11.251 to 192.168.11.255 for static IP addresses, this will give you in total 30 Static IP addresses.

Your router default IP Address: 192.168.11.1 now your router has a static IP address.

Configure the IP address of your computer Ethernet connection and the IP Address of your computer Wireless connection within the static IP address Range.

http://www.homenethelp.com/web/howto/static-ip-addre...

Orange WBC 20 Mbps. Sync 11864 kbps Downstream, 1189 kbps Upstream.
Netgear DGN1000 ADSL2+ wireless N 150 Router supplied by Orange
BT Business Hub 2Wire 2700HGV v2 ADSL2+ Dual SSID wireless Router
  Print Thread

Jump to