Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User InQ
(member) Sat 24-Dec-11 11:06:17
Print Post

Limitation on number of network switches used?

[link to this post]

I currently have a single Zyxel 8 port Gigabit switch in my small home network.
My router is plugged into this as is the Netgear Readynas Duo NAS, Dune media player, Xbox etc which are all located with the switch and i also have a CAT6 extension to where my laptop is located in another room.

In the near future i'm wanting to add more connections to bedrooms in the house to share the internet connection and NAS.
I was thinking of running a single CAT6 from the existing switch to another switch and then taking a single CAT6 from this to each bedroom and if required in future adding another switch in each bedroom if a number of connections are needed.

In theory would this work or would it be better doing it another way as it sounds expensive with the number of switches required?! I was just thinking of cutting down the amount of CAT6 to run.

Or I may just be better running 2, 3 or 4 CAT6 cables to each room then there would be some spare so that would leave a switch at the NAS, router etc end and a switch before the bedroom runs only.

I'm currently using this switch:- http://www.scan.co.uk/products/8-port-zyxel-gs108b-g...

Might need a 16 port for the bedrooms if going for the latter option:- http://www.amazon.co.uk/ZyXEL-GS1100-16-Unmanaged-Gi...

Any opinions or alternative solutions welcome!
Standard User pmb00cs
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 24-Dec-11 11:16:08
Print Post

Re: Limitation on number of network switches used?

[re: InQ] [link to this post]

You are unlikely to have problems with what you suggest, however whilst you are running in the cable it is better to run in more than you need for future usage now, rather than add new switches.

Keep in mind that the maximum speed between switches is the speed of the link, whereas the maximum speed across a switch is typically much higher, so using a single large switch with individual links to devices is preferable to using many small switches.

happily chugging along on plusnet and Virginmedia (yes I am greedy)
My web server
Standard User MHC
(legend) Sat 24-Dec-11 12:34:35
Print Post

As pmb00cs says - no real problems with that.

For the link from switch to switch - mount a suitable backbox and RJ45 socket close to each switch and terminate the cat6 in those. Then use a patch lead from socket to switch. Do NOT try to terminate cat6 into an RJ45 plug.

However, if it was me, I would install a patch panel close to where the existing switch is located, then run Cat5e or cat6 cables to every location (and a few more) then install a single 24 port switch at that point. More cable but less switches.

Well terminated cat5e can handle Gigabit - all of mine (except one - conductor broken) will and have been tested with large file transfers where 700-800Mbps has been achieved and probably the disk access speeds as I can see peaks of 1Gbps for small files.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Sandgrounder
(knowledge is power) Sat 24-Dec-11 13:26:47
Print Post

I currently have what you suggest - even with a public webserver on the end of the line.

Another switch is also connected on the end of a home plug link to an awkward to wire study.

As you say, not ideal, but it works.

Line One:- Zen - DrayTek Vigor 2600VG
Line Two:- EntaNet (Aquiss) - DrayTek Vigor 2600
Standard User InQ
(member) Sat 24-Dec-11 15:20:49
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MHC:
However, if it was me, I would install a patch panel close to where the existing switch is located, then run Cat5e or cat6 cables to every location (and a few more) then install a single 24 port switch at that point. More cable but less switches.

No can do as i've redecorated the lounge in the last 12 months so dont want to do anything major, i could manage to get a single ethernet cable out though.

I'm not sure what you are meaning about installing a patch panel and a 24 port switch though....or should "then" say "than"? ie than install a single 24 port switch.
If so whats the advantage of a patch panel over a switch?

EDIT
OK read up about patch panels!
As i wont be installing sockets in any of the bedrooms (redecorated over the last few years) i am intending to run the cables under the floor boards and bring them up out next to the skirting board (drill hole or slot in the floorboard). These would be the complete patch cable with RJ45's on the end.

Edited by InQ (Sat 24-Dec-11 15:58:40)

Standard User iand
(experienced) Sat 24-Dec-11 17:05:34
Print Post

if you can not get a cable there, just get a pair of home plugs. Go for what you can afford. I have the 200M version, just thinking about upgrading to the 500M version

IanD
Standard User MHC
(legend) Sat 24-Dec-11 17:59:13
Print Post

Don't terminate infrastructure cabling with RJ45s - firstly it is difficult to do satisfactorily - solid core is NOT normally suitable teh connectors. Even if you achieve a connection - it may not be capable of handling the Gigabit speeds.

M H C

Standard User InQ
(member) Sun 25-Dec-11 10:04:52
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MHC:
Don't terminate infrastructure cabling with RJ45s - firstly it is difficult to do satisfactorily - solid core is NOT normally suitable teh connectors. Even if you achieve a connection - it may not be capable of handling the Gigabit speeds.

Hi, it would be these fully made off cables i would be installing:-

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/7m-cat-6-utp-pvc-inj-...
Standard User InQ
(member) Sun 25-Dec-11 10:05:48
Print Post

[re: iand] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by iand:
if you can not get a cable there, just get a pair of home plugs. Go for what you can afford. I have the 200M version, just thinking about upgrading to the 500M version

I've had the 85mbps and 500mbps in the past and they didnt really cut it for BD ISO watching, seemed ok for DVD ISO though.
Standard User MHC
(legend) Sun 25-Dec-11 23:03:13
Print Post

Not the ideal way to do it - but it will work. Be careful threading the connectors through and protect the release tabs.

I would also say that those are "cheap" - personally I would go for a known brand such as "Cables-to-Go". http://www.kikatek.com/product_info.php?products_id=... is a similar product and Kikatek offer free delivery so the cost differential is not as much.

M H C

Print Thread

Jump to