Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User philippercival
(committed) Thu 29-Dec-11 13:37:47
Print Post

Two Buildings Wireless conection ?

[link to this post]

I have a friend who had an old farmhouse, with a cottage in his yard which he rents out on a holiday basis.

He has broadband and wireless internet in his house though I suspect not all through the house because of thick walls.

The cottage is about 40-50m from the house and the signal peters out half way across the yard between them. I have no idea as to whether or not they are on the same electricity phase.

He would like to be able to provide internet access to his guests, without spending vast amounts of money.

There are a couple of other houses in the near vicinity.

Any suggestions for the best way of approaching this.

Edited by philippercival (Thu 29-Dec-11 13:41:21)

Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Thu 29-Dec-11 13:41:36
Print Post

Re: Two Buildings Wireless coonection ?

[re: philippercival] [link to this post]

Would they be able to run a trench with a bit of hosepipe in it to be able to put in a CAT5 cable? Only problem is if they aren't both grounded to the same place it may cause electrical issues (not up on electrics but it can cause some sort of imabalance).

If they were on the same electricitry metre then you could use homeplug but sounds like this may not be the case.

Also, could use wireless links using a point to point wireless connection. But, have only done those on a business basis and they were quite expensive and for long distance. Using 2 standard wireless base stations with directional antennas may well be all you need.
Standard User MHC
(legend) Thu 29-Dec-11 15:15:54
Print Post

Re: Two Buildings Wireless conection ?

Forget wireless - too expensive and will not be too effective.

Can he get high enough on both houses to run a single wire across? If so, use an external Cat5e or Cat6 cable with an internal strain wire. Fix to eaves brackets at both ends and terminate in a suitable RJ45 socket inside each building. Connect the house end to his router and fit a small/cheap managed switch at the other end.

I have just done similar (but underground in ducting) for a friend - 70m to the end of his garden.

Alternatively, use SWA Cat5e/Cat6 and burying it in the ground - being armoured means you don't need to install in ducting.

http://www.fscables.com/Data/Structured+Wiring/Exter...

List SWA and external - don't know if the standard has a strain wire though - picture suggests it does but there is no mention.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Thu 29-Dec-11 15:26:52
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

MHC, does this introduce the ground potential issues I mentioned if they are not on the same electrical phase? Quick google gives this - although I seem to remember reading something that suggested it was a non-issue?

Edited by ian72 (Thu 29-Dec-11 15:27:12)

Standard User MHC
(legend) Thu 29-Dec-11 15:42:19
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

The lightning issue is possible - but then how many people have had phones fed from a high drop wire and the phone line then connected to a PC via a 56k modem. How many were killed by lightning strikes?

Ethernet is a balanced pair Sig+ and Sig- go through a twisted pair and thus no reference to earth. Think about large buildings - network fed from central computer room to devices powered from differing phases supplied from multiple distribution boards with their own earths throughout the building ...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Thu 29-Dec-11 16:09:57
Print Post

My understanding was that in large buildings the electricals went back to a common earth allowing copper connections between them. Where they are campus style buidlings then fibre tends to be used.

I honestly don't know if it is an issue and have seen conflicting arguments but I wouldn't want to advise something that wasn't a good solution.
Standard User philippercival
(committed) Thu 29-Dec-11 17:31:45
Print Post

Thanks for all the replies so far.

Unfortunately they have vanished for a week, so I can not ask for any further details. When I spoke he said that his electricity was old and strange. He did not think homeplugs would work.

The yard is Farmyard depth concrete, but overhead might well be possible. A cable would have been my answer but I was worried about creating a dangerous situation if there were different phases and a fault somewhere else.

The Farm is definitely fed by an overhead phone line. I don't actually know what his router/modem arrangement is, but as they have wireless already in the house, I would guess it is fairly standard.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 29-Dec-11 19:44:41
Print Post

If lightning was the sole concern there are specific Cat5 surge arrestors available (same concept as the GPO used to use).

Is there a particular reason no one has suggested standard Cat5E at each end, with media converters to/from fibre to get across the yard and eliminate the safety and signal integrity issues of the long Cat5 cable? It won't be as cheap as bodging it though.

Anybody know any trustworthy Part P certified sparkys with a decent knowledge of datacoms? Or datacoms folks who are Part P certified?

"Ethernet is a balanced pair Sig+ and Sig- go through a twisted pair and thus no reference to earth."

Lots of things have balanced differential inputs, lots of them don't work right when the wanted input signal is (occasionally?) swamped by a DC or 50Hz signal resulting from less than ideal grounding arrangements.

"differing phases ... their own earths throughout the building ..."

The Cat5 cable runs must be (relatively) short. The power cables and in particular the ground arrangements must be pretty much equipotential by design. E.g. have a look at the required earth arrangements where serious lift motors are involved. If there are network signal quality problems occasionally in a building environment, TCP hides many of them, and the IT department can usually be blamed for the rest.
Standard User elevator
(regular) Thu 29-Dec-11 19:50:04
Print Post

If its fed from an overhead supply its highly unlikely to be three phase so the power, unless the farm house has two meterswill be on the same supply after the meter the power plugs should work but I do not know thier maximum cale lenth.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 29-Dec-11 21:33:28
Print Post

[re: elevator] [link to this post]

Wireless will work perfectly well over 40-50m, provided you have windows approximately facing each other. Just place the router / wireless transmitter on the window sill of the farmhouse, the signal would be available within line of sight trough the oposing window. You may need to use USB WiFi dongle which can again be placed on the window sill with up to 5m of cable to the computer.

I have been using just such a setup for 4 years.
Regards,
Martin
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to