Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Etherealethel
(newbie) Mon 09-Jan-12 20:19:25
Print Post

Edimax wireless access point

[link to this post]

On the advice of someone from this forum (I think) I installed an Edimax WAP to improve my wireless broadband as the modem Virgin gave me didn't seem to reach one side of the house. I bought an Edimax EW-7416APN V2 from Amazon and somehow or other actually managed to install it - although I can't now remember exactly how - it seemed to improve things a bit (tho' not hugely) and I have been sucessfully using it for my netbook and PC in the back room - which were having problems with connecting before.

Yesterday however, I re-installed XP on the PC (which I had also used to originally set up the Edimax on) - and now it can't connect to it from that PC - the other devices all work fine - and I can even login to the device itself on the netbook - but my PC keeps saying the network is out of range..???

I have no idea how to repair it - do I have to set it all up from scratch again? I really don't have much in the way of technical expertise .. so the thought of revisiting all that set-upl stuff fills me with dread!
Standard User iand
(experienced) Mon 16-Jan-12 18:12:13
Print Post

Re: Edimax wireless access point

[re: Etherealethel] [link to this post]

Assume you have solved this. If not, then get the latest wireless driver. My laptop has an intel wireless chip so I got the driver from the intel web site. This normally clears this type of problem up.

IanD
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 19-Jan-12 07:53:53
Print Post

[re: iand] [link to this post]

Thanks, it righted itself after the PC did a windows update and installed service-pack 3! Ihad the latest driver for my netgear wireless adaptor, but haven't checked out Edimax itself for updated drivers - is that what you meant?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User iand
(experienced) Thu 19-Jan-12 19:27:53
Print Post

[re: Etherealethel] [link to this post]

Yes, I assume the Windows update added in additional newer drivers for the wireless card on the pc. If I we you I would look on the PC's internal wireless card's manufacturers web site and get their latest. Also do the same for the router

IanD
  Print Thread

Jump to