Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User swayzak
(regular) Fri 13-Jan-12 10:20:34
Print Post

Possible to truly "merge" 2 wireless networks .. ?

[link to this post]

Hi

I have potentially 2 wireless networks - one running currently from the O2 V box, and another (disabled) network from my Devolo 200 N AV homeplug.

As I understand it, these networks are generated by 2 devices with different MAC addresses. Therefore if both enabled then they show up as 2 separate networks.

If gave them identical SSIDs & WPA2 keys, is there a way to "merge" them to appear as single large network covering my property ?

thanks
Standard User AlanAtHome
(newbie) Fri 13-Jan-12 10:26:38
Print Post

Re: Possible to truly "merge" 2 wireless networks .. ?

[re: swayzak] [link to this post]

in simple terms

if a laptop knows both wifi points it will select the one with the strongest signal

ie - no need to have same ssid or key, probably better to have different ssid then you know which access point you are connected to

Edited by AlanAtHome (Fri 13-Jan-12 10:28:14)

Standard User swayzak
(regular) Fri 13-Jan-12 10:29:19
Print Post

[re: AlanAtHome] [link to this post]

Thanks

OK - so it's not possible to do what I'm requesting ?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User AlanAtHome
(newbie) Fri 13-Jan-12 10:58:20
Print Post

i'm not sure what you wish to achieve. you ask?.....

"is there a way to "merge" them to appear as single large network covering my property ?"

it will always be to wifi points, but they will work to give greater coverage. I set my friend up with his sky router as one AP and a devolo home-plug as second AP. As he moves around house his net book just selects strongest signal

The two AP must be on different wireless channels to prevent interference.

So to make two simple appear as one then no is the answer
Standard User ukhardy07
(committed) Fri 13-Jan-12 10:58:59
Print Post

In reply to a post by swayzak:
Hi

I have potentially 2 wireless networks - one running currently from the O2 V box, and another (disabled) network from my Devolo 200 N AV homeplug.

As I understand it, these networks are generated by 2 devices with different MAC addresses. Therefore if both enabled then they show up as 2 separate networks.

If gave them identical SSIDs & WPA2 keys, is there a way to "merge" them to appear as single large network covering my property ?
thanks

On 99% of wireless cards...

If you give them the same SSID and same WPA2 key, it will only show as 1 network when you scan.
(provided you are using windows wireless scanner and not a 3rd party one)

It will connect to the one with the most signal (behind the scenes)

It does not differentiate between the 2 MAC's using standard windows wireless scanner or mac osx wireless scanner

Edited by ukhardy07 (Fri 13-Jan-12 10:59:20)

Standard User ukhardy07
(committed) Fri 13-Jan-12 11:06:50
Print Post

In reply to a post by AlanAtHome:
i'm not sure what you wish to achieve. you ask?.....

"is there a way to "merge" them to appear as single large network covering my property ?"

it will always be to wifi points, but they will work to give greater coverage. I set my friend up with his sky router as one AP and a devolo home-plug as second AP. As he moves around house his net book just selects strongest signal

The two AP must be on different wireless channels to prevent interference.

So to make two simple appear as one then no is the answer

I disagree with using different channels...

Just because, if they are both on the same channel it will switch between the two much more seamlessly and smoothly.

Same channel, same SSID, same passphrase, encryption etc - shows up as 1 network when you scan (using windows) on most wireless adaptors
Standard User swayzak
(regular) Fri 13-Jan-12 11:10:13
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

Thanks both

I shall try to re-enable the Devolo & give it identical SSID, WPA2 password & channel and see what happens !
Standard User AlanAtHome
(learned) Fri 13-Jan-12 11:56:20
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

I disagree with using different channels...

Just because, if they are both on the same channel it will switch between the two much more seamlessly and smoothly.

Same channel, same SSID, same passphrase, encryption etc - shows up as 1 network when you scan (using windows) on most wireless adaptors

When i have set up AP's with the same ssid/key, the computer still knows it is two access points, perhaps it's the mac? so... if the ssid is "hereiam" i get two profiles on the pc namely "hereiam" and "hereiam 2"

As for using the same channel .. if you are at one extreme of the house or the other yes it'll work, but if you are in a middle area where both AP's are available it can cause problems. It's like Radio 1 and 2 being on the same frequency, which station will you hear on your radio?

It is possible the wifi will still work, but the speeds in this overlap area will be affected. Ask anyone who's neighbour has been on the same channel.
Standard User ukhardy07
(committed) Fri 13-Jan-12 12:07:44
Print Post

Perhaps you are seeing two networks as they are on different channels (I've not tried this)

I know that some adapters show both but most devices do not
My Sony vaio, iPhone, printer and MacBook pro all only see one network

Also I see your point with the wireless however lately it's not as big of a problem as you make it sound
You are probably always in this situation whereby there's interference & often it's stronger than your wifi

Wifi generally doesn't interfere too badly with one another
I actually find channel 11 best which has my network and next doors

It's more the kind of devices that are a problem
Eg wireless baby monitors, cordless phones, microwaves are much worse and generally use lower channels.
These devices you cannot see but chances are they are interfering much worse than an overlapping wifi signal
Standard User gmoorc
(member) Fri 13-Jan-12 12:23:37
Print Post

I've just done this with an access point and a router that I've set up to be an additional access point.
Same SSID and WPA2 key, different channels.
I only see one SSID name to connect to on my windows laptop and android phone and they seem to choose the strongest signal to connect to.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to