Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Jovin
(regular) Sat 21-Jan-12 22:53:34
Print Post

extending wireless network with etherner to wireless bridge

[link to this post]

Hi All
Apologies if this has been done befoe but I cant find an exact answer to my problem with a similar scenario.
I have a Draytek modem router with wired connection to pc and wireless to laptop. I want to put a DG834G router in another room with a wired connection to a tv and connect that wirelessly to the Draytek

I understand the netgear has to have DHCP turned off and be given a IP adress outside the DHCP range of the draytek....thats the easy bit, now the questions...

The Netgear is an old grey V1 and doesnt have WDS, does that matter?

Does the Netgear have to have the same SSID as the Draytek and do they have to be on the same channel?

Do I have to add the wireless MAC address of the netgear to the draytek and vica versa?

Can I use WPA PSK?

Presumeably if and when the routers are talking I should be able to set the tv network adapter to acquire an IP address automatically and it should pick one up from the Draytek DHCP.

Thanks in advance for any help

John
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 21-Jan-12 23:18:07
Print Post

Re: extending wireless network with etherner to wireless bri

[re: Jovin] [link to this post]

If using the 834 as a wireless access point (which is sounds like) WDS is irrelevant.

If you use the same SSID devices should pick what ever one has the strongest signal.

No need to play around with MAC.

WPA PSK only if the 834 and draytek support it. The TV should get its IP from the draytek if that is the only DHCP server on the network.

MMM just spotted the connect wireless to the 834, I would not recommend that route, what I said above applies to using ethernet to connect draytek and 834.

WDS is what you need and two compatible devices to do it wireless, and often not that reliable, and you want reliable for a TV

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk

Edited by MrSaffron (Sat 21-Jan-12 23:19:53)

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Jovin
(regular) Sun 22-Jan-12 12:21:32
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
If using the 834 as a wireless access point (which is sounds like) WDS is irrelevant.

If you use the same SSID devices should pick what ever one has the strongest signal.

No need to play around with MAC.

WPA PSK only if the 834 and draytek support it. The TV should get its IP from the draytek if that is the only DHCP server on the network.

MMM just spotted the connect wireless to the 834, I would not recommend that route, what I said above applies to using ethernet to connect draytek and 834.

WDS is what you need and two compatible devices to do it wireless, and often not that reliable, and you want reliable for a TV

Thanks for the reply, you read my post correctly despite me not wording the title very well!
In this case linking the 2 routers together via ethernet would be pointless, I just as well take the lead straight to the tv but that in itself presents something of a challenge.

As you rightly pointed out linking wirelessly is not so easy and probably wouldnt work too well. I shall have to think again about what to do, maybe stream via the Wii altho this tends to stop & buffer a lot and not too sure what tv pic would be like as it doesnt have HDMI out.

John

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sun 22-Jan-12 13:53:02
Print Post

I do what you want by linking the incoming BT homehub to the netgear using these.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Value-200Mbps-Home-Plug-Doub...

Do the turn off dhcp on the second one and I use two different SSID names so I know what the computer or phone is connected to as they have a choice of the best signal.

Whatt you want does work but link using cable.

Does for me.

Just use one of the 4 connections on the back of both. Leaves me 3 at the 2nd router for TV, bluray and freeview/dvd thing.

All the telly stuff can have internet connection.
So much easier with 3 channels and had to get up to change channels or volume (sounding old now)!.
Standard User prlzx
(committed) Sun 22-Jan-12 15:46:49
Print Post

I agree with the earlier replies that a wired connection will always be preferable.
Also I have that Netgear model but can't see an option to form a wireless bridge so suspect that would need custom firmware to do it.

If a wired connection is not practical at this time, this kind of device would work:
Ubiquiti AirRouter *
because the configuration is flexible on the wireless side it can be a station or access point,
and on the networking it do bridging or routing/NAT (as well as acting as a small switch).

So if you did put in wiring at a later date the same box could be used instead as a second access point.

To be confident, it would be useful to know:
  • the model Draytek you have and
  • through how many walls / floors to reach the TV or
  • if you can measure the signal strength (dB) of the Draytek as seen at the at the TV location (e.g. inSSIDer or Wifi Analyser)

* Reference: manufacturer info including manual and datasheet if you want to check details

prompt $P - Invalid drive specification - Abort, Retry, Fail? $G
prlzx on n e w n e t: ADSL2+ / 21CN at 2.5Mbps / 800k

Edited by prlzx (Sun 22-Jan-12 15:48:58)

Standard User Jovin
(regular) Sun 22-Jan-12 17:49:14
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
I do what you want by linking the incoming BT homehub to the netgear using these.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Value-200Mbps-Home-Plug-Doub...

Do the turn off dhcp on the second one and I use two different SSID names so I know what the computer or phone is connected to as they have a choice of the best signal.

Whatt you want does work but link using cable.

Does for me.

Just use one of the 4 connections on the back of both. Leaves me 3 at the 2nd router for TV, bluray and freeview/dvd thing.

All the telly stuff can have internet connection.
So much easier with 3 channels and had to get up to change channels or volume (sounding old now)!.

Unfortunately there is no way I would touch any form of networking over powerline as it kills HF (aka shortwave) radio and as a radio ham this is most definitely out!

What annoys me about this technology is that as far as OFCOM are concerned it seems fine that someone can cause interference to my equipment but woe betide me if I cause any interference.

Sorry off topic and rant over smile

John
Standard User Jovin
(regular) Sun 22-Jan-12 17:58:09
Print Post

[re: prlzx] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by prlzx:
I agree with the earlier replies that a wired connection will always be preferable.
Also I have that Netgear model but can't see an option to form a wireless bridge so suspect that would need custom firmware to do it.

If a wired connection is not practical at this time, this kind of device would work:
Ubiquiti AirRouter *
because the configuration is flexible on the wireless side it can be a station or access point,
and on the networking it do bridging or routing/NAT (as well as acting as a small switch).

So if you did put in wiring at a later date the same box could be used instead as a second access point.

To be confident, it would be useful to know:
  • the model Draytek you have and
  • through how many walls / floors to reach the TV or
  • if you can measure the signal strength (dB) of the Draytek as seen at the at the TV location (e.g. inSSIDer or Wifi Analyser)

* Reference: manufacturer info including manual and datasheet if you want to check details

Thanks for the info on the AirRouter it is another possibility. I was going to try and use the Netgear simply because it was lying around and wouldnt cost anything.

The Draytek I have is Vigor 2700VG and the 834 has custom f/w from DG team
It really isnt that far to the tv just a pain to get a cable to, there are only 2 walls to go through for any wireless signal.

Thanks everyone for help and suggestions

John
Standard User Daniel_g
(regular) Sun 22-Jan-12 18:23:07
Print Post

Hello

Did not log in earlier.

Did not know that, so bad is anyone had the massive ariels and long wire ( this is the short wave I think) down the garden.
Was a thought.
We have someone 15 minute walk away with the kit and motor driven directional kit and long wire the lenght of the garden. Guess he likes it like you.

I did the amatuer radio city and guild course at Harwell ( well known ration place in it's day so you might know) at the training centre building in one of the classrooms.
Done in 1993-94. Got rid of the stuff 6 years ago.
seemed a good idea at the time!.

Was a 5W max on 12V handheld 2m and 70cm device but 2W on batteries. Still went to the next county and 2 along to a repeater.

Off subject but the days of amauer radio.

Guessing you transmit as well.

All good stuff.
We even had a club house up at the outside the wire at harwell on the public side of the site.

Once did but not for 11 years or so, no stuff anymore and callsign not exist in the book from then as not paying the subs!.

Are we on a radio forum, me turning it into one!.

Never logged in earlier.

Read again. Yes you do talk out to people. Nice one. Does this low frequency get abroad.

Edited by Daniel_g (Sun 22-Jan-12 18:24:19)

Print Thread

Jump to