Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Stealth549
(newbie) Tue 14-Feb-12 21:19:10
Print Post

homeplug issues

[link to this post]

Hello, I have recently installed homeplugs to allow me to relocate my router next to the BT master socket and cut out a very very long phone extension cable.

This setup work fine until a family member plugs her laptop into the mains.

What I find very odd is that if it is plugged into one of the sockets on the living room it cuts the homeplug signal. If I plug it into another socket in the same room its fine.

When the laptop is plugged into her bedroom it cuts out. So far it's only been that device that's causing issues

Anyone got any ideas on how to solve this? Otherwise I may have to get a wireless card for this pc, which defeats the object of using homeplugs in the first place.

Thanks
Neal
Standard User mixt
(experienced) Tue 14-Feb-12 21:48:26
Print Post

Re: homeplug issues

[re: Stealth549] [link to this post]

It will be a noisy laptop power supply that is putting noise back onto the mains ring. I had this happen to me a while ago whilst using home-plugs, and frankly, dissuaded me from continuing using the technology. There are too many things (like this) that can go wrong, and cause no end of issues in my opinion, although others have had no issues and stand by them.

You could try a replacement power supply but obviously need to get the voltage/amp rating/polarity correct, plus connectors yada yada.

I use wireless now. A couple of dedicated units will get you a wireless bridge running, and provided you have no thick walls between them, or a leaky microwave oven or any other kind of interference on the same frequency band, they operate flawlessly. Probably not the solution you're wanting to hear though, but given your situation, might be the best route to take.

Now on <aaisp.net> (21CN+IPv6)
Previous ISPs: Virgin Media (50Mb/Cable), Be* Un Limited, ZeN
Is Linux routing your internet connection?
Need to make BIND geo-aware?

Edited by mixt (Tue 14-Feb-12 21:49:50)

Standard User Stanman_24
(knowledge is power) Tue 14-Feb-12 21:54:29
Print Post

[re: mixt] [link to this post]

got develo 200mbit plugs

they run at 65% 100tx m8 - as if there was cat5 cable in place

that is best case scenario as i been using them for a goof few years now

anything can mess up signal so once working make sure no1 plugs anything in

SOTV KRO BCFC smile

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User mixt
(experienced) Tue 14-Feb-12 22:02:25
Print Post

[re: Stanman_24] [link to this post]

Well I raise your develo units with 2 Edimax units, configured in bridge mode, running 802.11n with full WAP 2 Enterprise encryption, achieving 6 - 8 MB/s (megabytes) transfer rate. And all that running at 10% power across a distance of 30 feet. wink

Now on <aaisp.net> (21CN+IPv6)
Previous ISPs: Virgin Media (50Mb/Cable), Be* Un Limited, ZeN
Is Linux routing your internet connection?
Need to make BIND geo-aware?
Standard User Stealth549
(newbie) Tue 14-Feb-12 22:07:29
Print Post

Shame, just ordered a usb wireless adapter for this PC, They quite cheap now, certenly cheaper than buying more homeplugs and power packs.
Standard User iand
(experienced) Wed 15-Feb-12 18:22:24
Print Post

as others have said get a new laptop power supply. You get different results in different sockets because of the 'bad' signal being put onto the mains by the laptop. Think of a rope that you wiggle. Some places are small (good) some are large (bad).

IanD
Standard User Sandgrounder
(knowledge is power) Fri 17-Feb-12 00:50:09
Print Post

Check that you are not using homeplugs on the 'wrong side' of a surge protection unit or just on the end of a long extension unit.

Line One:- Zen - DrayTek Vigor 2600VG
Line Two:- EntaNet (Aquiss) - DrayTek Vigor 2600
Standard User SimonMackay
(member) Tue 21-Feb-12 12:35:12
Print Post

One way I would go to deal with this is to plug the laptop's power supply in to a surge protector or lmains noise filter, which may attenuate the noise that this switch-mode power supply puts pack in to the ring main. But I wouldn't use the mains noise filter or surge protector with the HomePlug device.

Simon Mackay
Standard User birdbb
(newbie) Tue 13-Mar-12 06:45:23
Print Post

My netgear xet1001 powered BBC iplayer at best quality until I upgraded from upto 20mb
service to fibre 40mb service. Now the connection is rubbish. Can anyone help?
Standard User Daniel_g
(member) Tue 13-Mar-12 09:07:34
Print Post

[re: birdbb] [link to this post]

Can't add much more to what has been said for the original problem, would go for noisy laptop PSU.

Got Dad a cheap USB wifi dongle and naff, guessing USB does not keep up and so slow. If a desktop would have go an interal PCI card with and external arial on a bit of wire or the one with a few fixed ones out of the back plate.

To your thing.

I got BT infinity and found the first 3 network connections holes 1 to 3 were not the best. I get the full 37.5Mb speed using hole 4, Think they are red. This is ok for you if on a home hub 3 supplied like I got last year.

No info given of set up so just a guess.

Can computer, guessing a hard to move desktop be moved and plug straight into the router, Does iplayer then go. If not then the netgear home plugs ( googles as not sure what the item was) are not wrong.

People have said the 85Mbs ones are not good enough so might be your internet connection speed gone up and they dont cope.

Try a speed test, what is it now. Mine does 37.5 on a good day.
There is one on here in the tools on home page.

Prove the homeplugs are at fault and not the internet by putting computer straight to router.

What I would do and work through things to see what ther problem is.

Is a HH3 then hole 4 is the one I found the best and got a 200Mbs home plug in and the other feeding another router as a switch to go to the telly, freeview box and blu ray ( gone are the days of it is just a telly, so complicated now!).

I have these and they come with a few 1m leads.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Value-200Mbps-Home-Plug-Doub...

There are cheaper at £34 I think TP ones, just done amazom home plug search. There are 500mb ones and when speed goes to 80 soon and you can get more the 200Mbs might not do so worth getting 500mb ones now, If I get the faster internet speed then my homeplugs might not do and have to buy more so worth getting fastest ones now. Some people say the 200Mbs ones are no good but mine are but not massive cable runs of mains lead as just a small flat. Not running all over my country 40 room mansion.

Still if is your 85mbs ones prove to be the problem then get faster. 500mb might be worth the expense unless happy with 40mb internet and not upgrading anytime soon. Nice to spent money once, wander If I did right last year with the 200Mbs ones.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to