Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Joppsta
(newbie) Thu 16-Feb-12 13:43:40
Print Post

Router Purchasing Advice

[link to this post]

In short, I'm looking to buy a new router... my ISP is BE (link) and they provide a modem/router (wireless naturally) for you but I feel that this router's wireless capabilities are questionable... and I want to replace the unit (holding onto it so I am covered for tech support from them obviously) completely.

The main issue I've been having is the internet dropping on my home network which is provided by this piece of hardware. It's a Thomson TG585v7 just so we're all in the loop... I've been told by the tech support team "off the record" that it's a good enough piece of hardware but the wireless "isn't the best".

I've been looking at a few options for modem-routers and I accidentally looked at pure wireless routers. So far this is the router I'm looking to buy:

Billion BiPAC 7800N

I also looked at some linksys router-modems but I get the general impression from reviews that Linksys' offerings are poor? Which seems strange to me but ... you never know with tech these days so I'm steering clear unless advised otherwise...

In addition to modem-routers, as I originally said, I was looking at routers also... namely Linksys' offerings....

E4200

And when I say routers.. I mean I was going to buy this one until I realised it wasn't a modem... I also looked at the 3200 but I figure I want the best thing going right now.

On top of all this, I'm wanting to make sure the stuff I buy is futureproof since I believe there's a new networking standard being released? I saw it on THIS YouTube video... and since I am probably going to begin using powerline it's probably a good idea to jump on that bandwagon...

Nonetheless, very confused overall... but cheers in advance!

- Joppsta
Standard User john2007
(legend) Thu 16-Feb-12 13:55:44
Print Post

Re: Router Purchasing Advice

[re: Joppsta] [link to this post]

We all choose our own ways to waste money. I'm on Be/O2 and through preference use a Netgear DG834Gv3 bought for £20 from a refubrshing outlet.

Is your line good or bad (line stats would be useful)?
Standard User Joppsta
(newbie) Thu 16-Feb-12 14:00:27
Print Post

[re: john2007] [link to this post]

How does one get line stats? I would say my line is probably a bad one, I'm using their value package and achieving around 0.87mpbs upload and 3mbps download when all is well, it's usually between 2-3mpbs.

Ping is around 60-80ms

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Deadbeat
(knowledge is power) Thu 16-Feb-12 14:20:46
Print Post

I've had the 585v7 from O2 for years without any problems whatsoever with wireless. I also have another one that's older and that has no problems either. Is the firmware up to date?
Standard User Deadbeat
(knowledge is power) Thu 16-Feb-12 14:23:06
Print Post

In reply to a post by Joppsta:
How does one get line stats?

Click here.
Standard User Joppsta
(newbie) Thu 16-Feb-12 14:24:44
Print Post

[re: Deadbeat] [link to this post]

Well BE made me do a firmware update on it too but it still drops connection at least once a day for a couple days and sometimes not at all, it's very iffy.... and very strange.

I'm actually at college currently so i can't get the exact firmware version number but it was updated last year in the spring/summer so ... if there's been a new firmware (which I've asked them about and they've said no there isn't) I guess it's maybe a bad box? I dunno....
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 16-Feb-12 19:59:10
Print Post

http://i511.photobucket.com/albums/s354/Joppsta/Line...

There's some stats then.

Pingtest: http://www.pingtest.net/result/57011226.png

Speedtest: http://www.speedtest.net/result/1777499398.png

I think my location perhaps is part of the problem with regards to speeds but with regards to connection I've got no idea....My post code is AB10 so could it have to do with the area I live in? I am suspicious that line quality in my area is sub par the national average..

AB10 Google Maps

The weirdest thing (for me) is when the router drops connection it doesn't even let me log in to it's interface (I'm still "connected" according to windows.. as in.. got wireless connection to the box itself) and sometimes it'll say I'm connected in windows when clearly I am not (web pages forever "loading" and not actually loading.)
Standard User Joppsta
(newbie) Thu 16-Feb-12 20:05:18
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
http://i511.photobucket.com/albums/s354/Joppsta/Line...

There's some stats then.

Pingtest: http://www.pingtest.net/result/57011226.png

Speedtest: http://www.speedtest.net/result/1777499398.png

I think my location perhaps is part of the problem with regards to speeds but with regards to connection I've got no idea....My post code is AB10 so could it have to do with the area I live in? I am suspicious that line quality in my area is sub par the national average..

AB10 Google Maps

The weirdest thing (for me) is when the router drops connection it doesn't even let me log in to it's interface (I'm still "connected" according to windows.. as in.. got wireless connection to the box itself) and sometimes it'll say I'm connected in windows when clearly I am not (web pages forever "loading" and not actually loading.)

Well.. it was me that posted that. Kinda not used to this format of message boards.
Standard User Deadbeat
(knowledge is power) Thu 16-Feb-12 21:34:32
Print Post

I was thinking these dropouts were between the router and the wireless device but it would seem that the router is perhaps losing sync. What do the lights on the router tell you when you can't load webpages etc?
Standard User Joppsta
(newbie) Sat 18-Feb-12 14:29:58
Print Post

I have no idea, generally I just restart it and everything is fine... I think the lights are all green though, internet and wireless lights flashing which means activity on them.

The weird thing is I cannot connect to the router via my PC when the connection is dropped even though i am still wirelessly "connected" to said router.
  Print Thread

Jump to