Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User acpsd775
(experienced) Thu 16-Feb-12 23:20:47
Print Post

Ethernet / Phone cable

[link to this post]

Hi i understand some people use Ethernet cable as phone extension wiring is it also possible to do this the other way round ?

Ive currently got a 4 wire Phone extension that go's from my phone socket in my bedroom out side the house then into the living room this was for sky multi room but ive just had sky cut off so no longer need it as a phone extension. (its a outside extension that sky fitted)

Im getting an internet TV box the turn the current TV into a smart TV this needs and Ethernet cable instead of running Ethernet down there or even resorting to home plugs would i be able to put an Ethernet plug on each end and use the existing wire or would this not work,

Thanks for any info

Ash

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sky 9732kbps/ 796kbps + TalkTalk 11105kbps/1020kbps + 3UK MBB Via Samsung GS2 4157Kbps/1536Kbps
Standard User Deadbeat
(knowledge is power) Thu 16-Feb-12 23:24:30
Print Post

Re: Ethernet / Phone cable

[re: acpsd775] [link to this post]

In a word, NO! wink
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 16-Feb-12 23:25:20
Print Post

[re: Deadbeat] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Deadbeat:
In a word, NO! wink

^^^^^^^^^

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User acpsd775
(experienced) Thu 16-Feb-12 23:45:25
Print Post

[re: Deadbeat] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Deadbeat:
In a word, NO! wink

well thanks for the straight up answer lol think ill look into some home plugs smile

Ash

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sky 9732kbps/ 796kbps + TalkTalk 11105kbps/1020kbps + 3UK MBB Via Samsung GS2 4157Kbps/1536Kbps
Standard User micksharpe
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 17-Feb-12 00:12:25
Print Post

You will be very lucky to make it work as googling "ethernet over telephone cable" will show. Home plugs are a better solution.

______________________________________________________________________________________________
‘Life would be so wonderful if only we knew what to do with it.’ - Greta Garbo
It Ought to be Easy | Greasemonkey scripts
Standard User acpsd775
(experienced) Fri 17-Feb-12 00:20:56
Print Post

[re: micksharpe] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by micksharpe:
You will be very lucky to make it work as googling "ethernet over telephone cable" will show. Home plugs are a better solution.

Yea i didn't think it would work but seen as it was already there i thought i might as well ask lol

Ash

Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Fri 17-Feb-12 08:13:58
Print Post

Just in case you want a little meat to the answer the reason that you can use network cable as phone cable is that it is of signficantly higher quality than is needed for telephone and therefore can carry the signal without any loss of fidelity.

The inverse therefore is true. Telephone cable is much lower quality than network cable and therefore it is much more likely to lose fidelity and quality and the real likelihood is that it just won't work.
  Print Thread

Jump to