Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User giggsy1977
(newbie) Fri 17-Feb-12 22:42:31
Print Post

Speed, Noise, Copper and Aluminium

[link to this post]

Hello everyone,

First post so please be nice!

The cabinet 300m up the road has had DSLAM painted on the floor next to it so FTTC looks like it is on the way - SamKnows says June 2012, BT Checker mentions nothing about Fibre.
I have read other posts on the forum that talk about SNR, noise on the line etc, and after emailing the Infinity team I have been told that Infinity can't be assured for me because there could be aluminium in my line, I live a long way from the exchange, I only get between 1.2Mbps and 1.9Mbps (averaging around 1.6Mbps). I also see people posting stats so others can offer advice or assist in improving speeds where at all possible. Can some please tell me how to get these stats so I can post them and see what you experts can offer me?

Thanks for reading - shall try to keep future posts shorter!

Giggsy
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 17-Feb-12 22:46:29
Print Post

Re: Speed, Noise, Copper and Aluminium

[re: giggsy1977] [link to this post]

Current stats have little to no bearing on what you will get from FTTC. And even if all aluminum to the cabinet, the few who have Ali lines have seen significant improvements

To see if your ADSL could go faster, get the line stats (connection speed, attenuation, noise margin) using the guides at http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/frogstats.php

and by putting them into http://www.farina1.com/adsl it will estimate what speed you should expect

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User giggsy1977
(newbie) Fri 17-Feb-12 23:07:52
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Andrew,

Thanks very much for that! A very speedy reply!
My stats are as follows:

Downstream - 1481Kbps Upstream - 723Kbps
SNR Margin - 13.3dB SNR Margin - 13.0
Attenuation - 61.0dB Attenuation - 32.5dB

The checker at Farina tells me I should be able to get a download line speed of 2373 and an upload speed of 1061Kbps.

How do the figures look to you?

Thanks,

Giggsy

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User burakkucat
(committed) Fri 17-Feb-12 23:41:12
Print Post

The cabinet 300m up the road has had DSLAM painted on the floor next to it so FTTC looks like it is on the way
But is that the PCP through which your line is connected?

If yes, then at that distance you should be able to receive a decent FTTC service. So how can we check? SImple. Just provide your post code and one of us can look up the relevant PCP number. Then all you need to do is to check that the number matches that on the cabinet.

-----------------------------------------------------

100% Linux and, previously, Unix.
Standard User giggsy1977
(newbie) Fri 17-Feb-12 23:55:23
Print Post

[re: burakkucat] [link to this post]

burakkucat - the cabinet up the road is the one I am connected to. The noise and attenuation seem high to me from doing some very quick reading on the site. BT couldn't make me any promises! I mentioned that people further away than me get 40Mbps downloads but he said the quality of my line plays a part also.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 18-Feb-12 10:31:01
Print Post

61db attenuation is pretty high, but in line with being a long way from the exchange.

The noise margin suggests the line has been unstable in the past, and being raised to a 12dB target figure, hence why you get the 1.4Meg,. rather than the 2.4Meg the calculator suggests.

With 300m to the cabinet, even if aluminium then 20Meg down, 2 Meg up is entirely possible, or even a lot faster. If there is some copper involved you can increase those speeds a lot.

In summary you have about 5.5km of telephone wire, reducing this to just 0.3km means a much greater performance.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User giggsy1977
(newbie) Sat 18-Feb-12 11:35:40
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Andrew,

Thanks for the reply. The figures meant nothing to me! I hope there is copper involved! Being only 300m from the cabinet I was hoping I would be able to take advantage of the plans for the speeds to be doubled! 20Mbps would be a huge increase anyway! I shall keep an eye on the BT checker in the coming months and see where I'm at.

Thanks again - good to get some info from knowledgeable people!

Giggsy
Standard User pokchop1st
(regular) Sat 18-Feb-12 13:37:06
Print Post

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1781028022.png

Bit slow I'm downloading a torrent file and watching football on Pc at the moment.
This is FTTC 700m from cab on aluminium line,been solid from begining of feb when My cab was enabled.I was apprehensive when I found out My line was an aluminium one but absolutely no problems since I've been on Fttc with BT.
I was with O2 before on ADSL+ geting max of 2mb d/l.

Edited by pokchop1st (Sat 18-Feb-12 13:37:59)

Standard User giggsy1977
(newbie) Sun 19-Feb-12 08:28:27
Print Post

[re: pokchop1st] [link to this post]

pokchop1st - that'll ding dang do for me! Thanks for posting that - cheered me up no end! Guess the BT guy has to err on the side of caution in a lot of cases. Things look good for me to have decent speeds. Just gotta wait for cab install now! Thanks to all posters for their info and reassurance. smile
Standard User hoopla
(member) Sun 26-Feb-12 13:45:48
Print Post

In reply to a post by giggsy1977:
The cabinet 300m up the road has had DSLAM painted on the floor next to it so FTTC looks like it is on the way - SamKnows says June 2012, BT Checker mentions nothing about Fibre.
I have read other posts on the forum that talk about SNR, noise on the line etc, and after emailing the Infinity team I have been told that Infinity can't be assured for me because there could be aluminium in my line, I live a long way from the exchange, I only get between 1.2Mbps and 1.9Mbps (averaging around 1.6Mbps). I also see people posting stats so others can offer advice or assist in improving speeds where at all possible. Can some please tell me how to get these stats so I can post them and see what you experts can offer me?

On a line I'm interested in, FTTC is supposed to be available on 29th Feb, but the BT Checker says nothing of it. However, that date was 22 Feb a month ago. So yours may slip a bit too.

The stats and line speed you are getting now bear no relevance to what you would get with FTTC.

The stats you get now are related to the quality and length of the wires from your house to the exchange. With FTTC that is not relevant: all that matters is the quality and length of the wires between your house and the cabinet.. And even then, because the DSLAM is no longer in the exchange, it can be (and is) configured to use a stronger signal than would be possible for fear of interference in the exchange.

You will almost certainly get near the full 40Mb (or maybe 80Mb by then) if you are only 300metres from the cabinet..
  Print Thread

Jump to