Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User TJJ
(newbie) Sat 18-Feb-12 19:42:07
Print Post

BT Voyager V Home Hub

[link to this post]

Having got my Internet radio working on my BT Voyager 2500V, I am having ‘drop out’ problems if I take the radio ‘upstairs’ but still only 20 or so meters from the hub.
I have a BT Home Hub which I have never installed as the Voyager worked fine before I got the radio.
I have been told that the Home Hub has a better range than the Voyager but have also seen comments on this forum saying Voyager is better than Home Hub.
Any advice, before I change hubs would be much appreciated.
Standard User Deadbeat
(knowledge is power) Sat 18-Feb-12 21:40:25
Print Post

Re: BT Voyager V Home Hub

[re: TJJ] [link to this post]

I take it that the radio unit is wireless. smile

Use Inssider to check for local channel overlaps.
Standard User TJJ
(newbie) Sun 19-Feb-12 12:38:03
Print Post

[re: Deadbeat] [link to this post]

Yes wireless but it is not an overlap problem as the hub / radio work fine when the radio is near the hub.
I am thinking that the old BT Voyager dose not have enough WiFi range to work properly when the radio is not near it. Question is ‘Is the BT Home Hub’ likely to be any better?
I assume hubs will normally cover a average sized house?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Deadbeat
(knowledge is power) Sun 19-Feb-12 15:51:45
Print Post

If your wireless items are B or G then, technically, it shouldn't make that much difference. However, practically, the difference could be huge.
Suck it and see!

Your weak signal could still be down to "interference" from neighbours' routers. run Inssider and try to grab a channel at least 3 away from other WAP's. For example, if a "foreign" router is seen showing a good signal on channel 6, try to set your WAP to channel 3.
Standard User GeeTee
(committed) Sun 19-Feb-12 16:38:02
Print Post

[re: Deadbeat] [link to this post]

5 channels apart to avoid any overlap.

Which means we end up with clumps of devices on channels 1, 6 and 11.

refs:
http://www.draytek.co.uk/support/kb_vigor_wlanchanne...
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc783011%...

Unfortunately it's not just wireless access points that pollute this band and it is often the other stuff that things like inssider cannot see that are most unfriendly so there is still an element of suck it and see to finding the best performing channel.
Standard User shtu
(experienced) Mon 20-Feb-12 09:38:31
Print Post

In addition to the above, it could be as simple as angling the antenna slightly.

Imagine that with the antenna vertical, you get a horizontal "doughnut" of signal, so try tilting the antenna toward the upstairs location.

The homehub has smal internal antennae, so you may not notice much of a difference if you swap over. (A lot of the stuff around the Home Hub and wireless signal is marketing-based. That's not to say it's totally untrue, just that you get the same effect yourself with a little effort)
Standard User TJJ
(newbie) Mon 27-Feb-12 19:54:49
Print Post

Thanks all.
Tried inclining the antenna slightly, no difference.
However, moved radio to other side of the bedroom (nearer to the hub) and it worked fine.
So looks like it was a transmission range issue (through walls etc.)
TJ

TJ
  Print Thread

Jump to