Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User deechneg
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 28-Feb-12 05:48:23
Print Post

Thinking loud / Homeplug

[link to this post]

Right some of you know i work on ships, we have finally joined the 20th Century and got internet, it's slow and very limited but that isnt the problem.......

We have a very nice router and some router powered Access Points all well land good, however some areas are a bit blind to the wi-fi, I was toying with getting some homeplug type units and putting then in the system but a few thoughts occur...

We use 3 phase 220v, so for them to work the send and receiver would need to be on the same phase? (the distribution becomes single phase in the DB's in order to balance the load on the phases) I was wondering would the 440-240 transformer block the signal between the phases? How susceptible are these units to noise? What the range on most of these units? Anything else I might need to be thinking about.

We use a similar system for monitoring Refrigerated Containers but that wont interfere as it uses 440v system and the modems are on a different sub system.

Demon
2 Meg since 6th March 06
Now smurffing along at MAX (about 6megs to you and me)
The Muppets Rock
Standard User dsergeant
(member) Tue 28-Feb-12 07:24:03
Print Post

Re: Thinking loud / Homeplug

[re: deechneg] [link to this post]

Since ships use HF radio for their communications then I would have thought Home Plug/Powerline would be a definite no go. See http://www.ban-plt.co.uk/
Standard User deechneg
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 28-Feb-12 09:16:05
Print Post

[re: dsergeant] [link to this post]

given we already use PLT for monitoring the cargo (fridge boxes) then I really cant see the issue, the Radio gear is powered through 24v DC system anyway so no cross connection into the main ac power grid anyway...oh and hardly anything goes on HF Radio Comms now, all through Sat's and BB connections smile and until last year, all through Dial up ISDN (again through Inmarsat)

Demon
2 Meg since 6th March 06
The Muppets Rock

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MHC
(legend) Tue 28-Feb-12 09:29:30
Print Post

The transformers are likely to block most of the data - they are designed to work at 50 or 60Hz and higher frequencies will just not pass through in a clean state but may appear as noise.

You say the monitoring equipment uses PLT and is on a different system. However, both systems will be competing for the spectrum and will see each other as noise on the line and could fail to connect or drop back in speed ... If that happens you would be compromising the cargo and they would certainly be a no-no.

I have seen a few ships with Inmarsat's Fleet Broadband installed and the crew have run additional Cat5e from the main hub down to additional key locations and then connected an additional WAP with 4 ports to those. One had tried some early PLT and could not get any reliable connections if at all.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User shtu
(experienced) Tue 28-Feb-12 09:33:00
Print Post

In reply to a post by deechneg:
We use 3 phase 220v, so for them to work the send and receiver would need to be on the same phase?

I was wondering would the 440-240 transformer block the signal between the phases?

My guess is that you are correct, but I've never used them in that environment.

How susceptible are these units to noise?

They are, they reduce the available bandwidth depending on the elctrical noise. They actually use a very similar technique to ADSL in the way they operate.

What the range on most of these units? Anything else I might need to be thinking about.

Range is variable, go for the higer-bandwidth units (200mbps at least) as these appear to provide better range (probably by using a wider range of frequencies.)

Only other thing I can think of is if the ship has US \ UK \ whatever mains outlets, it's probably neater to buy (eg) US ones, rather than mess about with travel adapters.

TBH, I'd be thinking about adding more of the powered access points and improving it that way.
Standard User ggremlin
(committed) Tue 28-Feb-12 10:44:25
Print Post

they will not work between phases,
you could run 3 sets separately, one on each phase...

also you can get an access point version:
Billion BiPAC 2073N HomePlug AV 200 Wireless-N Access Point
netgear do one too
Standard User deechneg
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 28-Feb-12 10:52:15
Print Post

[re: ggremlin] [link to this post]

Right thanks all.....

The Main Router, has some spare PoP ports as we have 4 AP's already, so i think might just indent for some more AP's and get lecky to run me some more Cat6E cable (we appear to have 1000mtr reel smile )

Should not be an issue with cargo monitoring, as that system is running on the 440v and as we kind think the transformers will already isolate that, and I would expect the range of the HP not to be big enough....however time to write a requisition smile

Onward and upward

Demon
2 Meg since 6th March 06
The Muppets Rock
Standard User MHC
(legend) Tue 28-Feb-12 11:08:08
Print Post

Are there any 400/220 transformers?

Running phase to phase will give 400v and phase to neutral 220v ...

With the cable, have it terminated in RJ45 sockets on back boxes with patch leads to the APs. Easiest and quickest way to do it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User shtu
(experienced) Tue 28-Feb-12 13:14:05
Print Post

The Main Router, has some spare PoP ports as we have 4 AP's already, so i think might just indent for some more AP's and get lecky to run me some more Cat6E cable (we appear to have 1000mtr reel smile )

Do that. Best solution if you can get the kit.

Have a wander round the ship while using something like inssider, http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider/ , this will let you map where the dead spots are and where APs would be best placed.

I'm pretty much certain that the transformer will isolate the cargo monitoring from your 220v system, but I don't have a massive ship to test that theory. smile
Standard User OpenAccess
(regular) Tue 28-Feb-12 15:40:52
Print Post

Hi deechneg,

The domestic mains and lighting will be single phase, though it will be a floating supply. this gives 110v on each leg under normal conditions, though either leg can carry up to 220v if the other leg goes down to earth in fault conditions.

I would go for the wired option for the majority of PC's only going for the wireless option as a last resort. If using wirred connections as long as the cable is run on the opposite side of the cable tray from power cables you should not have any problems. If a number of connections are required in a area it may be more practical to install a switch and then feed to other locations.

Presume that as a Container Carrier you will not be looking a lot of connections as far as power and steel bulkheads, decks and deckheads.

Before retiring I installed and managed the network of about 150-200 points on floating semi sub which had the same problems as a ship.

Peter
--------------------------------------------------------
Be Unlimited 24Mb Static IP
Pipex Solo1000 on Xtreme realm
Pipex Solo512 on Xtreme realm
<a title="Broadband Ping" href="http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/3eacc8da4e20c2633ec527139b160633.html">My Broadband Ping</a>
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to