Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Supatramp
(member) Fri 02-Mar-12 22:32:00
Print Post

Internet access

[link to this post]

I posted this in the BT section earlier today but after 78 views and not a single reply, maybe this is the better place?

I've noticed for some time that when I left-click on the signal strength icon in the Notification area, bottom right-hand corner of the screen, there's Wireless Network Connection showing, but also Wireless Network Connection 2. Both show my HH3 router, BTOpenzone and BTFON, however this morning I've noticed that although connected as usual to WNC, the WNC 2 signal strengths are stronger than WNC.

I don't know whether the difference has been there before and I simply didn't notice, but can anyone tell me why I have 2 identical connections showing, but why there's a variance in the signal strengths, and why I'm connecting to the poorer signal?

David
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 02-Mar-12 22:46:58
Print Post

Re: Internet access

[re: Supatramp] [link to this post]

When I 1st read this it struck me that this is a Windows query.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User Supatramp
(member) Fri 02-Mar-12 22:57:30
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
When I 1st read this it struck me that this is a Windows query.

It could be, I don't know! As I said in my OP, I'm sure I didn't have this issue when with AOL, so is it BT or Windows?

David

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 02-Mar-12 23:08:43
Print Post

You wouldn't have had it with AOL cuz you never had a router that broadcast other "public" networks besides your own local network.

The issue lies with the router and how Windows sees the networks it broadcasts.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User Supatramp
(member) Sat 03-Mar-12 13:54:30
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
You wouldn't have had it with AOL cuz you never had a router that broadcast other "public" networks besides your own local network.

The issue lies with the router and how Windows sees the networks it broadcasts.

So is what is happening wrong, bad or what? Is there an issue, does it need sorted? And how/why is the '2' connection showing stronger signals but I'm connecting to the poorer one?

David
Standard User Supatramp
(member) Sat 03-Mar-12 13:59:02
Print Post

On my laptop at the moment so did the same check and discovered that on it, I've only 1 WNC showing!

The plot thickens!

Does the fact that my main PC connects via a USB adapter have anything to do with it?

David
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 03-Mar-12 21:46:43
Print Post

Which Windows are the 2? I said this was a Windows issue smile

Print Thread

Jump to