Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 08-Mar-12 20:06:00
Print Post

Please suggest a new wireless router or review site

[link to this post]

I need a new wireless adsl router as my old netgear dg834g v2 seems to be dropping its connection a lot. It coincided with our net connection going down for a few days till bt came and fixed whatever was the problem. Now the router seems to constantly drop out. Meaning I have to turn it off and on each time to get it working.

Anyway, I've been trying to research a new one to buy but have been having difficulty finding decent review sites for the latest hardware.

Does anyone have any good links for review sites or can suggest a decent one for around the £50 mark?

Advice much appreciated.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 09-Mar-12 00:07:52
Print Post

Re: Please suggest a new wireless router or review site

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

Which ISP? Some routers are better when compatible with ISP kit at exchange.

Broadcom chipset ones are often good with many ISPs. e.g. Netgear DG834G v4 but not v2.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 09-Mar-12 18:36:06
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Thanks for the reply xrayspex.

I'm with NDO (Namesco). Which would you suggest for them?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sat 10-Mar-12 21:37:04
Print Post

It may not be your router. Routers are likely to fail altogether, rather then work interminently.
Your best bet is to first borrow a known router to check your connection.
Regards,
M
Standard User TheLastMan
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 17-Apr-12 16:11:14
Print Post

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
It may not be your router. Routers are likely to fail altogether, rather then work interminently.
Your best bet is to first borrow a known router to check your connection.
Regards,
M

Not true at all! In fact my experience is that routers tend to fail in a piece-meal fashion and rarely fail totally all at once - unless struck by lighting!

I had a Netgear DG834G that started to regularly drop the internet connection needing frequent re-boots. I replaced the power supply which fixed the problem.

I replaced that with a DG834GT in order to run the DG Team customised firmware. The modem and router parts work fine, but the wireless would drop out randomly. I replaced the wireless function with a separate Buffalo access point that is much more reliable and all is now hunky dory.

I am now thinking of getting an "N" class access point to replace the Buffalo as I am still happy with the Netgear's modem and router functions.

Matthew
--------
Demon dial-up ('97) > Freeserve dial-up ('00) > Zen 512 ('02) > Metronet PayGo 1000 ('04) > Newnet Home 2050 Lite ('05) > Home 8050 Lite ('06) > Home 8050 M ('07) > back down to Home 8050 Lite ('07) > Be Value > ('08) > O2 Standard ('09) > Orange Broadband and Anytime Calls ('10) > ?
  Print Thread

Jump to