Not quite how you'd suggested but here's what I did -
Followed your directions and got as far Orange's instructions but...
After closing Orange CD's startup window and connected phone, nothing happened (no detection wizard for 'New USB device found' etc.
Wrongly assuming it was due to Active sync already 'knowing' my phone (and an identicla SPV I'd had for 3 months), I deleted both from A-syn, rebooted and tried again.
Still no joy from plugging in (again it went un-noticed) but as always, phone screen lit up again.
However, this time I went to a connection I'd created a few days ago (I'd called '3 internet')
Here's what I did (following another thread I'd read at the time)...
[Select a modem:] I chose Cellular Line (GPRS, 3G),
Access point name: I tped "three.co.uk" (without quotes)
User, password and Domain all left blank,
Looking at [Advanced] tab it is set to 'Use server-assigned IP address',
I've no idea if the 'phone accepts the pictures/multi-media stuff (mms etc) which I'd originally been trying to set up at the time (and gave up so as to avoid making a phone-shapped impression in the lounge wall).
BUT ANYWAY - IT WORKS (I'm typing this via the connection that has eluded me for a week)
Once I'd got that connection created under 'new connections', I clicked on -
Waited a few seconds, then opened a web page shortcut from lappy to test connection.
Thanks for your assistance. Knowing my luck though, I'll be getting a bill from Three at end of month if it turns out I've connected to wrong system...
Edited by Dingbatty (Fri 09-Mar-12 18:39:03)