Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Dingbatty
(newbie) Fri 09-Mar-12 04:36:31
Print Post

Tethering a Windows phone to PC on 3 network?

[link to this post]

Has anyone managed to tether a Windows Mobile phone to desk/laptop via USb and run it as a modem?

After a week of hunting online and a couple of lonnng calls to Three's helplline (in India), they say "We have no settings for your HTC Windows Mobile phone..."

I suspect they're not wanting to undermine opportunity to shift expensive Android deals etc but I'm hoping to use my unlocked (ex-Orange) SPV M3100 as a USB modem.

Any help appreciated.

TIA
Standard User mhb
(member) Fri 09-Mar-12 07:33:10
Print Post

Re: Tethering a Windows phone to PC on 3 network?

[re: Dingbatty] [link to this post]

Yes but it's not fast.

See here :
http://web.orange.co.uk/eps/?rm=wds&url=http%3A%2F%2...

Under item 7 of Setting Up Modem, put in 3netaccess in lieu of orangeinternet

Under item 2 of Setting Up The Connection, still leave both username and password blank

Your 3 contract is supposed to be such as to allow tethering.

Hope this helps.
Standard User mhb
(member) Fri 09-Mar-12 10:53:36
Print Post

[re: mhb] [link to this post]

Sorry but for some unknown reason the link above only takes you to the start page rather than the final setup method page. Therefore
starting from there you will need to do the following:-

1)Choose all options , but one at a time, as Orange, SPV M3100, Laptop, Windows XP and lastly Orange USB data cable
2) Click on Next
3)Click on Next alongside 'Setup Orange SPV M3100 to laptop windows XP using Orange USB Data Cable for GPRS'
4)Choose any ISP as this seems only to be used to title the Laptop/PC connection
5)Follow the setup instructions but using '3netaccess' in lieu of 'orangeinternet' as explained in my first reply post above.

Edited by mhb (Fri 09-Mar-12 10:56:27)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Dingbatty
(newbie) Fri 09-Mar-12 15:09:39
Print Post

[re: mhb] [link to this post]

DONE IT!
Not quite how you'd suggested but here's what I did -
Followed your directions and got as far Orange's instructions but...
After closing Orange CD's startup window and connected phone, nothing happened (no detection wizard for 'New USB device found' etc.

Wrongly assuming it was due to Active sync already 'knowing' my phone (and an identicla SPV I'd had for 3 months), I deleted both from A-syn, rebooted and tried again.

Still no joy from plugging in (again it went un-noticed) but as always, phone screen lit up again.

However, this time I went to a connection I'd created a few days ago (I'd called '3 internet')
Here's what I did (following another thread I'd read at the time)...
[Select a modem:] I chose Cellular Line (GPRS, 3G),
Access point name: I tped "three.co.uk" (without quotes)
User, password and Domain all left blank,
Looking at [Advanced] tab it is set to 'Use server-assigned IP address',

I've no idea if the 'phone accepts the pictures/multi-media stuff (mms etc) which I'd originally been trying to set up at the time (and gave up so as to avoid making a phone-shapped impression in the lounge wall).

BUT ANYWAY - IT WORKS (I'm typing this via the connection that has eluded me for a week)

Once I'd got that connection created under 'new connections', I clicked on -
[Start]
[Accessories]
[Internet Sharing]
Selected [Connect]
Waited a few seconds, then opened a web page shortcut from lappy to test connection.

YIPPEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Thanks for your assistance. Knowing my luck though, I'll be getting a bill from Three at end of month if it turns out I've connected to wrong system...

Edited by Dingbatty (Fri 09-Mar-12 18:39:03)

Standard User mhb
(member) Sat 10-Mar-12 09:28:44
Print Post

[re: Dingbatty] [link to this post]

Glad you got it working although I do wonder how without installing the USB driver but hey, if it aint bust don't fix it.
  Print Thread

Jump to