Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 15-Mar-12 21:32:47
Print Post

Budget replacement for BT V2110 (DSL Line MIB wanted)?

[link to this post]

As per title.

My trusty BT V2110 no longer behaves acceptably. It's not a hardware problem, I've tried two spares.

The symptom is that something happens and then existing connections continue to route traffic but DNS resolution fails and the router's web server is unresponsive. A power cycle fixes it. Nothing helpful appears in the syslog if I enable it.

What provokes the symptom is unclear but appears to be traffic related though I'm not sure exactly how - if there's no traffic it doesn't hang, when there's traffic it will hang once or twice most evenings. Routine browsing (and TuneIn Radio) is enough to provoke it, but not predictably/repeatably. There is some suspicion (but no confirmation) that a loss of sync may be part of the picture that provokes the failure.

I think I'm on the latest 2110 BT firmware but I did notice that AAISP have a version for download which has fixed a few odds and ends, including "a fix for DNS relay when firewall off" which just might be related but then again if a trendy new router is £20 is it worth it?

Requirements are largely routine apart from one unusual requirement: would very much like ADSL Line MIB support (have had it for last few years and don't want to give up). WDS capability would be nice too but far from essential.

Suggestions welcome.

Alternatively:
1) anyone actually tried OpenWRT on these with any success? Can it have DSL Line MIB support?
2) anyone know how to easily get the DSL Line MIB info out of a Billion 7300G (which is my temporary replacement)?
Standard User shtu
(experienced) Wed 21-Mar-12 15:47:51
Print Post

Re: Budget replacement for BT V2110 (DSL Line MIB wanted)?

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

I'd give the AAISP version a try since you have multiple units there, flash one and see how it goes.

As for openWRT, the first thing I found says,

"Just be aware that OpenWrt does not support the ADSL functionality of this router yet "

http://dereenigne.org/computers/openwrt-ddwrt/openwr...

(May be out of date, just,mentioning it)
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 22-Mar-12 06:41:25
Print Post

[re: shtu] [link to this post]

Thanks for that

Trying the AAISP version for a week or two is next on the "todo" list; other domestic matters have taken priority in the last few days.

Thanks for the heads up re the DSL side of things wrt OpenWRT.

As I've got a small surplus of cheap AP kit at the moment from failed attempts to bridge LAN A to LAN B, I had already wondered about using the 2100 just as a basic modem/router and letting another box do the AP side of things, in case there was some kind of resource exhaustion problem in the 2100.

All good fun, if I didn't have other things to do...

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sun 25-Mar-12 23:42:48
Print Post

[re: shtu] [link to this post]

Flashed the AAISP version on Thursday. Haven't had a catastrophic failure (ie loss of DNS) since. Didn't notice till earlier this evening that web access to the 2110 wasn't working (connect request gets RST in response) - but it does work straight after a reboot. Telnet to the router still works even when the webserver is stuck, so it's specifically the webserver that's stuck, not TCP in general.

So it's progress, of a sort. Many thanks to AAISP for the updated firmware AND for fulfilling their GPL obligations (which BT didn't initially do with the V2100 firmware).

This all used to work fine for me. I wonder what changed to break it. ADSL2+ at 9Mbit vs good old BT20CN at ~8Mbit?
  Print Thread

Jump to