Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User acpsd775
(experienced) Sun 08-Apr-12 01:04:31
Print Post

Ethernet cable Outdoors

[link to this post]

Hi im wanting to run some Ethernet cable around the outside of the house from back to front can anyone recommend some, Im wanting to use it for Gbit speeds, The cable will basically leave 1 room threw a hole in the wall go round the outside of the house and back in threw a hole in the wall in a diff room, One end will go directly into a Gbit hub the other end will be wiered into one of these or would i be better off having one of those faceplates at each end (cleaner)

Would this be ok if i chop the ends off ?

Thanks for any help

Ash

littlebigone.com FTTC from 12/2/12 + Bigtv+ IPTV Package + 3UK MBB Via Samsung GS2 5252Kbps/1608Kbps

Edited by acpsd775 (Sun 08-Apr-12 01:50:00)

Standard User stuorguk
(member) Sun 08-Apr-12 03:03:23
Print Post

Re: Ethernet cable Outdoors

[re: acpsd775] [link to this post]

I would go with cat6, especially for a long run. Dont skimp on quality, otherwise you may have problems achieving Gbit speeds over a long length of cable. Up to you how you terminate it at each end. A quality ferrite core at either end might be a good idea too.
Standard User acpsd775
(experienced) Sun 08-Apr-12 04:13:40
Print Post

[re: stuorguk] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by stuorguk:
I would go with cat6, especially for a long run. Dont skimp on quality, otherwise you may have problems achieving Gbit speeds over a long length of cable. Up to you how you terminate it at each end. A quality ferrite core at either end might be a good idea too.

Hi thanks for the reply its not a long run as such between might be 15M at the most posibly more 10m, Its just more convenient and easier to run it out side, Hole wise its all done (previous sky install) for me so no drilling just a case of adding 2 ends and nailing it to the outside wall, To do it internally it would mean ripping carpets & floors boards up drilling extra holes that's the main reason i was asking about outside cabling smile

I think ill box at each end it would be a lot Neater in the long run than just a cable hanging out the wall

Ash

littlebigone.com FTTC from 12/2/12 + Bigtv+ IPTV Package + 3UK MBB Via Samsung GS2 5252Kbps/1608Kbps

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sun 08-Apr-12 08:20:06
Print Post

In reply to a post by acpsd775:
Hi im wanting to run some Ethernet cable around the outside of the house from back to front can anyone recommend some, Im wanting to use it for Gbit speeds, The cable will basically leave 1 room threw a hole in the wall go round the outside of the house and back in threw a hole in the wall in a diff room, One end will go directly into a Gbit hub the other end will be wiered into one of these or would i be better off having one of those faceplates at each end (cleaner)

Thanks for any help

Ash
yes, that will be fine.

______________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________
Standard User MHC
(legend) Sun 08-Apr-12 10:01:03
Print Post

http://www.fscables.com/Data/Structured+Wiring/Exter...

For both Cat5e and Cat6 - you probably don't need SWA (armoured though). They will supply a 20M length - by post or collect from Luton/St Albans area.

And YES, terminate it on a face plate - a lot easier than connector as well as being the right way to do it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User burakkucat
(committed) Sun 08-Apr-12 10:13:44
Print Post

In reply to a post by acpsd775:
No.

Why do I say no? Because it has copper/aluminium alloy conductors.
. . .

This cable is solid core copper based (part copper, part aluminium),

. . .

-----------------------------------------------------

100% Linux and, previously, Unix.
Standard User eckiedoo
(learned) Sun 08-Apr-12 10:51:24
Print Post

Avoid Right-Angle "bends" at house corners and Holes.

Whatever method of attaching you use, eg cable ties to existing cable etc, avoid compressing both old and new cables.
Standard User acpsd775
(experienced) Sun 08-Apr-12 14:51:30
Print Post

[re: eckiedoo] [link to this post]

thanks all for the advice ive got what i need now i think to be on the safe side im going to run 2 cables for redundancy and in case i ever get a second device its for a media center but if i decide to move my ps3 down there its easier to couple up to internet then smile

Ash

Standard User leexgx
(learned) Mon 09-Apr-12 05:55:08
Print Post

2 cables is always the best option (as i see this loads of times when one of the cables do not work) or worse the only 1 cable does not work when there is only one cable going to the face plate (fuss of having to re pull an cable or run an new cable around the house)

wish i had done that at my house as mine runs under the floor very not accessible (i have to pull up all the laminated wood floor back up)

Standard User Deadbeat
(knowledge is power) Mon 09-Apr-12 09:09:00
Print Post

Personally, I would use a conduit of some sort (Simple plastic overflow pipe works just fine). I would also double up on the cable run.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to