Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User the_enquirer
(newbie) Sun 22-Apr-12 13:37:06
Print Post

How to Allow Guest Access for Internet use only

[link to this post]

Hi all, I have very basic knowledge of setting up WiFi router at home. I'm a member of a club and we have just got BT Business Broadband with BT Business Hub 3. The club has one WiFi laptop which will occasionally access the BT Hub 3 using WiFi for internet use only. So essentially we have no network as such, just the BT Hub and a laptop.

I would like to allow some club members to have internet access (WPA2 password), but without allowing access to the club laptop in any way.

As I said previously, the club laptop will only be active occasionally, so actual exposure is limited, but ideally I would like for the club laptop to be invisible to others when it is connected. I would also like each members equipment to be hidden from each other, so nobody can access each others data etc..

Can I achieve this simply? If so, do I need extra equipment?

I do have some donated equipment available: Netgear WAG102 Wireless Access Point, D-Link DSL-2640R Broadband Wireless G ADSL2+ Router and US Robotics 9106 SureConnect ADSL Wireless Gateway. Could I use any or all of these?

I know this donated equipment is only Wireless G, but speed for the members is not important as they will only use internet access for emails and occasional google searches etc..

I've tested the WAG102 at home, by plugging it into a LAN port of my BT HomeHub3 and giving it a different SSID, which works OK, but I can still see the other equipment connected wirelessly to my BT HomeHub3, although I cannot access my home laptop etc. because they are password protected.

I would be grateful for any help.

Many thanks.
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 22-Apr-12 14:25:19
Print Post

Re: How to Allow Guest Access for Internet use only

[re: the_enquirer] [link to this post]

You probably can't do it with your current equipment, you'll most likely need a better router/WAP which has such functionality.

I wouldn't worry about it, people who are connecting their wireless laptops and devices to the club network should be setting their security settings to the appropriate setting to make them secure in public networks.

Just make sure you aren't sharing a printer or files on the club's own laptop, and you should be fine. If it's Windows Vista or 7, just make sure the network location is set to public.

Zen 8000 Pro
Standard User the_enquirer
(newbie) Sun 22-Apr-12 14:30:28
Print Post

[re: Pipexer] [link to this post]

Hi, thanks for your reply. Club laptop is running Win7. If I set to Public Network when connecting to BT Business Hub3 for internet access, will it be hidden from all others?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User tommy45
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 22-Apr-12 14:34:35
Print Post

I wonder if some security products with a firewall such as eset smart security would hide the laptop or be able to block communication from other untrusted machines within the network , you can try eset free for 30 days, and they have uk based tech support

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 22-Apr-12 14:59:54
Print Post

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

No experience of eset smart, but the whole point of software firewalls is to block access to a machine, and the majority do operate a reasonable firewall.

Even the basic firewall that is part of Windows 7 will be enough if it is actually switched on

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User leexgx
(regular) Thu 26-Apr-12 01:39:43
Print Post

easy way is if the BT hub supports Isolation mode enable it as that would separate the wifi clients (enable WPA2 only as well as the hub mite be set to WEP)

or buy an ADSL router that supports multi SSIDs with Isolation mode, that would mean you could have 2 networks then one for public and one for club (most new Netgear N300 ADSL routers support up to 5 SSIDs networks but should check before buying)

removed last part as buying an second ADSL router that supports muti SSIDs works out easier (was to buy an second cable router plug it into the bthub)

Edited by leexgx (Thu 26-Apr-12 01:40:59)

Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Mon 30-Apr-12 10:44:03
Print Post

[re: leexgx] [link to this post]

Could potentially buy a standard "cable" or "fibre" router (ie a router that has an ethernet port in rather than ADSL). This would then plug into the home hub. Public access would connect to the home hub. Private (laptop) access would be to the new router. That way the new router controls all of the internal network access to ensure everything is secure and the home hub deals with all the public access.

For less than £100 this would give the same security for the laptop as it has from the outside Internet.
Standard User ukhardy07
(committed) Mon 30-Apr-12 11:17:34
Print Post

[re: leexgx] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by leexgx:
easy way is if the BT hub supports Isolation mode enable it as that would separate the wifi clients (enable WPA2 only as well as the hub mite be set to WEP)

or buy an ADSL router that supports multi SSIDs with Isolation mode, that would mean you could have 2 networks then one for public and one for club (most new Netgear N300 ADSL routers support up to 5 SSIDs networks but should check before buying)

removed last part as buying an second ADSL router that supports muti SSIDs works out easier (was to buy an second cable router plug it into the bthub)

I second this and was going to write pretty much the same thing. I've had this setup myself previously.
Standard User qasdfdsaq
(learned) Tue 01-May-12 16:17:12
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

The BT Hub 3 already supports multiple SSIDs with isolation and even tunnelling - that's how it runs the BTFON and BTOpenZone public networks in complete isolation to your private network.

That said whether you can do this manually I can't recall.
Standard User ukhardy07
(committed) Tue 01-May-12 17:04:25
Print Post

[re: qasdfdsaq] [link to this post]

HH2 supported upto 5 SSIDs I think. I assume the HH3 is the same

BTfon and openzone would use 2 and 3 and the original homehub number 1.

Leaving you the choice of 2 ssids.
  Print Thread

Jump to