Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User philippercival
(committed) Sun 29-Apr-12 11:03:18
Print Post

Home plugs 3 way.

[link to this post]

I recently used homeplugs to transfer the internet from one part of a friends house to another and it worked very well.

I have another friend who is considering using them, but his house is slightly different. The house is long and thin with very thick walls and the master socket is in the middle.

The home plugs I bought were a pair, though I noticed that they were also sold singly. Am I right in thinking that he could use three. One connected to the router in the middle and one at each end of the house? The ones I bought were Solwise ones through homeplugs.co.uk.
Standard User Deadbeat
(knowledge is power) Sun 29-Apr-12 11:53:17
Print Post

Re: Home plugs 3 way.

[re: philippercival] [link to this post]

You can use three with no problem. I've used four in a property where cabling was a no-no and wireless was ineffective.
(committed) Sun 29-Apr-12 14:31:28
Print Post

[re: Deadbeat] [link to this post]

Thank you

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Sandgrounder
(knowledge is power) Sun 29-Apr-12 15:52:36
Print Post

[re: philippercival] [link to this post]

You can connect three and it will work.

But if you try to use more than two concurrently then the performance will drop off rapidly.

The technololgy has exactly the same performace issues as the old (BNC connected) 'thin wire' ethernet which has now almost dissapeared from use.

Line One:- Zen - DrayTek Vigor 2600VG
Line Two:- EntaNet (Aquiss) - DrayTek Vigor 2600
(committed) Sun 29-Apr-12 18:31:29
Print Post

[re: Sandgrounder] [link to this post]

Thanks. I don't think that will matter too much as it is only for internet access, and in their area they have a very rural connection speed so I suspect that any internal network will be able to keep up.
Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Mon 30-Apr-12 10:46:16
Print Post

[re: Sandgrounder] [link to this post]

Exactly the same thing you would see with wireless as well. Both technologies use "shared" bandwidth whereas a switch will use dedicated bandwidth per port (of course the older network hubs also use shared bandwidth).
  Print Thread

Jump to