Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User pigeonbird
(newbie) Mon 30-Apr-12 20:45:25
Print Post

Adding A Sky Router To Boost WiFi Signals

[link to this post]

Hello everyone

I'm wondering if someone can give me some simple instructions to add a sky router a friend has given to me to my current talktalk router so I can boost the range of my wifi and let me connect my TV to the internet.

The talktalk router:
D-link DSL-2680
This router is connected to the phone line (internet) and is at the front door. The signal reaches the back room but not the back garden.

The sky router:
Sagemcom
I hope to put this router in my back room on the other side of the house.

Currently the talktalk router drops the connection once or twice when in the back room but the main reason for setting up the second router is I plan to connect the sky router (wired) into my TV so I can use the iplayer/netflicks stuff and give me the ability to connect to the internet in the back garden.

Hopfully this is possible I'm just not sure what settings to use.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 30-Apr-12 20:51:25
Print Post

Re: Adding A Sky Router To Boost WiFi Signals

[re: pigeonbird] [link to this post]

The Sky router is a pretty locked down, and does not have WDS mode which is what you are after.

The ideal bit of kit to buy would be a wireless ethernet bridge, e.g http://www.amazon.co.uk/Netgear-Universal-Wifi-Inter...

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User qasdfdsaq
(learned) Tue 01-May-12 16:15:08
Print Post

Re: Adding A Sky Router To Boost WiFi Signals

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Yeah, best you can do is run the router as a second access point, but that would require another router to do it wirelessly, or an ethernet cable between it and your main.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread

Jump to