Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Calixtus
(newbie) Mon 30-Apr-12 21:20:54
Print Post

New VM hub and existing router/switch set up.

[link to this post]

Hi

My old set up was cable modem (God Bless VM) to my Netgear FVS124G Gigabyte Firewall 4 port Router.

Off the router 4 ports 2 go to home office machines, 1 port to box acting as file server all of these machiens have 10/100/1000 cards in them.

The final port on the router goes to a 16 port 10/100 switch. Off the switch 4 ports to childrens computers and 2 to printers.

Upgraded last week to the new VM Superhub to access 100Mbs service and for wireless for iPad. Wireless is great getting 35Mbs via speedtest.net. Cable to boxes only getting 10Mbs download and tonight even less down to 4Mbs. However the other night all boxes were testing at roughly 10Mbs each.

If I connect the new Superhub direct to my main machine (after 3 tortuous hours on VM support) The VM test gave in excess of 100Mbs download.

So it would seem to me that I have a bottleneck somewhere which is capping the download speeds to 10Mbs.

Is the superhub and my netgear conflicting with each other and should I remove my existing router? Got a sneaky feeling the VM hub is netgear anyway.

On my office macines the network connection is listed at 1Gbps so it would seem to me that we should be able to get the download speed through to those machines without removing the existing router?

Getting confused and cannot see the wood for the tress any help much appreciated.

Jim
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 30-Apr-12 21:34:54
Print Post

Re: New VM hub and existing router/switch set up.

[re: Calixtus] [link to this post]

Have you considered running the superhub in its modem mode, to make the setup easier.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Calixtus
(newbie) Mon 30-Apr-12 21:56:23
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Superhub is in Modem mode at the moment and still only getting 10Mbs and then of course no Wireless in Modem mode.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 30-Apr-12 22:12:42
Print Post

That Netgear router is pretty ancient found out that it can only support 11.5Mbps throughput

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,17600648

So you are getting the best you can get from it. When it was new back in 2002, 10 Meg was considered very fast.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Calixtus
(newbie) Mon 30-Apr-12 22:35:27
Print Post

Many thanks. Been searching and I could not find anything about that and in the settings it has 100base T as a setting and I thought that was okay.

So if I scrap the netgear router, plug my switch into the Superhub, will the 10/100 switch allow 100Mbs or is that also dependent on its age? It is a Corega FSW 16L and definitely at least 10 years old!!

Edited by Calixtus (Mon 30-Apr-12 22:56:34)

Standard User qasdfdsaq
(learned) Tue 01-May-12 16:14:02
Print Post

Most switches (even old ones) have no difficulty hitting line speed, so it should be fine.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 01-May-12 16:20:24
Print Post

In theory should be fine, as the switching is easier to handle, than the WAN to LAN routing.

Only way to really know is to test it.

Standard User Calixtus
(newbie) Wed 02-May-12 09:29:50
Print Post

Thanks guys for the feedback. Removed my original router and all now okay and boxes at end of switch getting good through put.
Standard User Calixtus
(newbie) Wed 02-May-12 14:40:52
Print Post

Okay my network was using 192.168.1.xxx

The superhub appears to default the LAN settings 192.168.0.1
It appears to auto assign IP addresses to the file server (running Win Server 2000) and business computers to 192.168.0.3 5 & 7

I cannot get either of the 2 printers to work

In the MAC filtering page in the router menu it lists the printers as 192.168.1.050 and 060. So I have reassigned them in the printer set up menus to 192.168.0.50 and 60. Also redone the port settings in Printer Properties aswell.

The printers now show in the MAC filtering list as trusted devices with the 192.168.0.50 & 60 addresses. But i still cannot get anything to print.

What am I doing wrong?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 02-May-12 14:54:05
Print Post

You will have to redetect the printers in Windows as their IP address has changed, or manually update the printer settings.

Just occassionally, I have to reboot my Oki as it does not seem to like lots of network changes

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to